cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP + Two interfaces advertising eigrp on same subnet?

Colin Craig
Level 1
Level 1

I have a multi site cluster that I'm looking to improve the redundancy on.

Each site has a 4510 Chassis that are interconnected with two indepented fiber runs (etherchannel), utilizing 10gig SFPs

Currently each switch has vlan 10 trunked across to each other (My server Vlan). Only the one site has the default gateway 10.10.0.1. If that switch dies my servers are unreachable at both sites.

Planned:

I want to use HSRP to virtualize 10.10.0.1 so that is is always availble. I've played around with it and it seems like it will work.

My Question:

Can I have two interfaces on the same vlan (on one each chassis) advertise a path to the same network?

Please see my diagram

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can I have two interfaces on the same vlan (on one each chassis) advertise a path to the same network?

Yes, it will work fine.

You just create sn SVI for vlan 10 on both switches than give each SVI a unique IP address and configure the same virtual IP on both SVIs.  Give one of the switches a higer priority, so you know what switch is the primary and which one is on stand-by.

Default priority for HSRP is 100, so make one side 120.

HTH

awsome. Just to make sure I'm 100%. Clients in "Site C" will see both eigrp advertisements, one for 10.10.0.0 via 172.16.201.1 and one for 10.10.0.0 via

172.16.200.1?

I'm not too worried about the HSRP, I've done that before. I just want to make my eigrp works because I've never had 2 interfaces on one subnet.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card