cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP upgrade

RahmaSallm
Level 1
Level 1

We nee to replace our old standby HSRP switch (it is a C6880-X-LE VSS pair). We plan on building a VSS first, upgrade it to the recommended version and then configure it.

We are not sure however what is the best way to replace it and upgrade the active HSRP switch (also a C6880-X-LE VSS pair) at the same time.

Should we remove the old standby switch, upgrade the active then connect the new standby? What is the correct order to do this?

Also, is there a command to manually failover from active to standby after that and vice versa to make sure that everything works fine?

18 Replies 18

Same as Me 

MHM

BTW, as I believe 6880s are EoL, I would question the value of possibly a major conversion using them.

Hello
if you are migration to a new vvs switch cluster them just build up the VSS with all the L3 svi etc.. then disable them - interconnect the new vss to old hsrp stack  with L2/l3 trunk and L3 mgt svi
then you you can migrate preicemeal the L2 interconnects first and then the L3 off the hsrp onto the vss

if you are upgrading the existing 6800 hsrp stack to vss which personally i’ve never done i envisage you will need to take the secondary 6800 off line to build up fiirst and then migrate from l2/l3 from old to new then drop the primary and build that up to become vss - the problem with this is you have no resilience whilst the migration is being done.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello

@RahmaSallm wrote:
The main question is, what to do with the active pair after replacing the stanby pair with the new switches that are upgraded to the recommended version.

All please correct me here if i am wrong but It sounds like the HSRP will still need to be broken (be a if it was a single pair of 6800 in HSRP or dual vss paris with HSRP) thus there will be no resilence whilst the upgrade is in process?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card