cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hughes HT2000W fails to communicate with CBS350

birch-bay
Level 1
Level 1

I decided to upgrade my SG 200 to a CBS350. When I replaced the SG 200 with the CBS350, everything worked great with the exception on not being able to establish communication with the HT2000W satellite router / modem. When I ping from the new switch, everything works great with the exception of a time out response when attempting to ping the HT2000W. I get the same result when I ping from Windows 10 Pro. When I use the -R switch, Windows reports that it cannot find the HT2000. 

My current setup is:  VLAN10 Admin, VLAN20 ( x.20.10), VLAN30 ( x.30.19), etc.

Two of the devices are the HT2000W ( x.20.1) and my WAP ( x.40.50)

I can contact and manipulate the WAP device HTTP page from VLAN70 with no issues. I have tried static routes in both the CBS350 and the HT2000W to no avail. That does not mean I have set up the static routes properly. I have also tried disabling the firewall in the HT2000W but that did not have any affect on the problem. The only difference I have found in the settings between the SG 200 and the CBS350 is in the PSTP where the port role is set to root in the CBS350 while the port role in the SG 200 is set to designated. 

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

they are all different VLANs, so first disable smart port option on the device, then enable Layer3 features

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

birch-bay
Level 1
Level 1

I have disabled the Smartport feature in Smartport --> Interface Settings and changed the Switchport mode in VLAN Management --> Interface Settings from L2 to L3.  When I ping 192.168.20.10 (the VLAN IP) with the Source IP set to Auto and with the Source IP set to 192.168.70.10 (the VLAN IP), they both report success.  When I change the Destinaation IP to 192.168.20.1 (the HT2000W IP), the Source IP set to Auto reports success but when IO change the Source IP to 192.168.70.10 it reports ping failed.

These are exactly the same results I had before the above changes and the same results (before and after) I get with the Windows 10 command line ping. For some reason ping cannot see the HT2000W across the switch port.

because HT2000W does not know how to route back to 70.X IP 

so if possible make a static route 192.168.70.0/24 to wards 192.168.20.10 (thinking that this is Switch IP)

BB

I will try that.

I may have found another possibility.  While searching the STP Interface Settings I found the Port Role was set to Root, the Designated Cost was set to 0 and the Forward Transition was set to 2.  A bit of follow up took me to the MSTP Interface Settings where I found the Path Cost, Port State and Port Role carried a foot note that stated that boundry interface behavior was determined by the STP Interface Settings.  Doing a bit of research on the web took me to a Cisco publication that suggest that  blocking was possible because of multiple spanning tree instances.  Looking at my setup, the computer I am using is at one end of the VLAN chain (192.168.70.10) and is connected to the same internet gateway as the gateway VLAN (192.168.20.10) on the other end.  Is it possible that because of this multiple spanning tree instance, the gateway IP is being blocked.  And, if so, how do I fix it?

until you post the show run and show spanning information we do not know (also another thing we don't know about your network is how it connected) what we  can suggest you? or fix can apply here ? ( we can only do trail and errors)

you need to make an STP root where required, and also avoided other become root bridges for the VLAN, the spanning tree is evil.

can many issues if you do not make it correctly designed. 

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card