cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I know nothing about networking but have to add a switch and subnet - Cisco 2821

alexoncisco
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco 2821 V/K9 Router.  We are having security cameras installed in our building that are connected to a Green net Trendent PoE+ Switch TPE-T80H.  I have been told to get those cameras connected to our network using subnet 25 - those are my instructions.  I think I first have to connect the switch to our network, correct?  How in the world do I do that????  Even if that isn't the first step, I'm assuming it will have to be done at some point.  PLEASE Help!

4 Replies 4

ArchiTech89
Level 1
Level 1

If I might venture...

You probably won't get answers about how to configure a TRENDnet product here. Be that as it may...

• Connecting any switch to a network is easy. Just use one of the ports on the device to connect it to either another switch, or to a router.
  • Subnets have to be configured on a router because these kinds of switches don't know the difference between subnets.

So ultimately, if there needs to be a new subnet, you'll need to use one of the LAN ports on the router that will route to it and then plug the switch device in to that. If there are no LAN ports available, then you won't be able to create a new subnet that's separate from the existing network.

Hope this helps...

ArchiTech89
CCNA Routing & Switching, CCNA Security
MCITP, MCTS
Berlin, Germany

So I can plug the switch into any available LAN port?  For instance, one of the same ones we would use to connect a PC on our network?

Yes

alexoncisco
Level 1
Level 1

It ended up being as easy as plugging the new switch into the X4 port on the 2821.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card