Views
Helpful
Replies

I'm stuck bewteen a router or a L3 switch

Jeroen1001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

Over the year my LAN has gotten more and more advanced that I feel the need to buy gear that will suit me better. So the first part will be about which gear to chose:

I have been thinking about a Cisco 800 series. To my disappointment, it comes with 8 fast ethernet ports while my whole network is currenly gigabit ethernet. And truth be told, leaving 8 ports unused just seems a little pointless.

So I then contemplated on a L3 switch. But those don't seem to support NAT apart from the ones I can't afford.

So well, I'm stuck between bad choices. Am I missing something here? Any upgrade or a series I haven't looked at?

-----

In order to complete my question I'll explain what my goal is (all gear is gigabit).

Cisco SLM2008 VLAN Switch ---------> Draytek Router ------------>Cable modem/WAN

|                                                       |

Device that must bypass NAT                 "Dumb" switch

Requirements:

A) 1 device connected to the Cisco SLM needs to bypass NAT completely as if it was directly connected to the cable modem. So I need a WAN VLAN. I need a router whose WAN port can be placed in a VLAN. The device can then be placed in the same VLAN and then hopefully everything will work.

B) All my other hosts will reside inside 2 subnets (192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24, for instance). They must be NATTED to the public IP on the WAN port.

C) I need Dynamic DNS support

D) I need VPN support.

E) NAT throughput should exceed 100 megabit.

Many thanks for your thoughts on this.

1 Reply 1

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

I am pretty sure that no layer 3 switch will support VPN. I believe you will need a router for that.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card