cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I went Cisco and now I can't go back?

shanemc67
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased a WRT-330N about two years ago and it was crap right out of the box. The wireless was flaky, constantly dropped connections and died completely within the first six months.

The wired portion still worked, so I made do until this week when the remainder of this black, shiny turd gave up the ghost. To be honest I was grateful to see it go.

The problem now is that the network connection which is integrated into the motherboard will not flush/release/renew the IP address and gateway previously provided by the now deceased router.

I can see the information in the registry, but any changes to the information are not saved, cannot be deleted, etc.

The result is that I cannot create an RDP connection.

Did Cisco products make changes to the hardcoded instruction set on my motherboard?

Where do I need to send the bill for my time and now broken hardware?

4 Replies 4

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

All hardware vendors can have a flaky piece of hardware.  I'm not sure about the low end residential grade equipment but the enterprise grade Cisco equipment rocks without a doubt. 

About your issue I have never heard of such a thing that Cisco's hardware some how hard coded the NIC with its own IP settings.  Have you checked the TCP/IP properties to make sure that it is set to obtain the IP address via DHCP?

Can you post the screen shots of your issue?  And about your broken hardware well if it has been six months it still may be under warranty, call them and get a new one.

I'm done wasting time trying to fix whatever Cisco's equipment broke.

I'll simply reformat and never use Cisco products again.

Problem solved.

Thats an interesting problem for sure. Blame Cisco/Linksys products? Theres a lot of guys here who would attest to the fact that Cisco's enterprise networking kit is the best, full stop. Your issue seems to be related to an SME/SOHO type product. Very different.

But to address your specific issue, if you are suggesting that the router hard coded something into windows or even the motherboard, that you cannot manually resolve or a reload wont fix, then i would doubt that. Unless perhaps some software that came with the unit was installed, and needs to be removed. Perhaps it's a windows issue, some bug, or 'feature'. Are you getting any address when released/renewed? Are you getting any errors when renewing the lease? Do you have a new/replacement DHCP server on the network?/ What version of windows is it? Have you tried to reload the box?

Please give more details and we'll try to help, even though this aint a windows forum. We aim to please

Regards

Stephen

==========================
http://www.rConfig.com 

A free, open source network device configuration management tool, customizable to your needs!

- Always vote on an answer if you found it helpful

========================== http://www.rconfig.com A free, open source network device configuration management tool, customizable to your needs! - Always vote on an answer if you found it helpful

The network router cannot break your PC device in the way you are stating, it's not even possible.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card