cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ICMP type responses on 3750

Phil Bradley
Level 4
Level 4

Are ICMP type responses only available in the IP services image on a 3750?

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Phil

Not sure what you are asking.

Do you mean things like ping etc ?

If so no these are not restricted to IP Services as far as I know.

Perhaps you could give a bit more detail as to what the question is asking ?

Jon

Ok, I see I didn't word that very well. What I meant was when I send a ping out to a client on another network, and I do not see the destination host unreachable messages come back from the router that has the network if for example the host is powered down. The windows clients just say timeout and the packet capture just shows the echos. Apparently their is an interface config command that will tell the routers to respond to these packets but I don't see it under my interface config.

The command should be "ip unreachables" and this would be applied on the SVI not the physical interface (unless of course you are using routed interfaces).

Not entirely sure what the default is on 3750s ie. whether it is on or off. If you type the above command in under the SVI but don't see it in the configuration that probably means it is on by default.

If that does happen easiest way to check is to then type "no ip unreachables". If that shows up then you know the default is to have it on (apologies if I am telling you things you already know).

Jon

It looks like the default is turned on since I do not see it after adding it to the SVI. However, I do not see any replies from the router on behalf of the client that is type 3 code 1 (destination host unreachable). I only see the echos go out and then the client assumes timeout.

Thanks,

Phil

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card