Views
Helpful
Replies

IE Switch Device Manager (Web GUI): Power Management configuration bug

Jon211
Level 1
Level 1

On a Cisco IE4010 - Industrial Ethernet Switch Device Manager (Web GUI):

If I go to Configure > Power Management, click on any row in the table corresponding to an interface, and try to change any property (e.g., change the Mode from Auto to Disable) and click Save, I get an error:

"Please enter the total power value as whole number between 4 to 130."

(see attached screenshot).

This is a bug, right?

Software version: 15.2(8)E5 (Crypto) UNIVERSAL

12 Replies 12

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check logs on the device just after try this (too)  ; look for additional errors if any (e.g.)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

This is a bug in the web GUI (in the JavaScript). No command ever even gets sent to the switch, so the switch of course does not log an error.

>....This is a bug in the web GUI (in the JavaScript). 
  - Can you then try to configure this value using the CLI instead ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

It works fine using the CLI.

To be clear, I was not looking for a workaround (e.g., using the CLI). I just wanted to confirm if anyone else is seeing this problem in the web GUI and if so, I want to report it to Cisco so it gets fixed.

- Good plan (making a bug report) , 

M.

How can I report a bug without buying a SMARTnet support contract?

shughesj
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am not an IE engineer, however I will attempt to recreate in my lab. Will follow up afterwards. 

Jon211
Level 1
Level 1

@shughesj If you filed the bug report, please share the ID. Thanks!

Ken R
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jon,

I've found that changing the power settings for an interface is a little "clunky" when using the GUI.  What I'm seeing is that when you change from the power mode states [ Auto, Static, Disabled ] I first had to click save (typically found under the "override power" column).  Therefore I tried first changing the interface from a disabled power state to the static state, which was successful.  However, after making that change if you keep the row selected, in your case interface Gi1/6, then try to go back and make a change to the interface I get the error you're seeing - which forces me to then have to click cancel to de-select the interface.  Conversely, after making a power management change I acknowledge the configuration change notification pop-up, followed by changing the interface PoE mode to static and hard coding the power wattage I can then click save.  

Alternatively, I also been able to get around that by changing the interface to static poe mode, saving the configuration, acking the notification, click off of the interface of interest (so maybe click a different interface), click back onto the interface of interest, changing the power configuration, and saving again.  

Hi @Ken R,

What I'm seeing is that when you change from the power mode states [ Auto, Static, Disabled ] I first had to click save (typically found under the "override power" column). Therefore I tried first changing the interface from a disabled power state to the static state, which was successful.

Even if the first and only thing I do is select a row and change the power mode state, when I try to click save I get the error ("Please enter the total power value as whole number between 4 to 130.")

However, after making that change if you keep the row selected, in your case interface Gi1/6, then try to go back and make a change to the interface I get the error you're seeing - which forces me to then have to click cancel to de-select the interface. Conversely, after making a power management change I acknowledge the configuration change notification pop-up, followed by changing the interface PoE mode to static and hard coding the power wattage I can then click save.

I can't even get that far because I can't save any changes.

Alternatively, I also been able to get around that by changing the interface to static poe mode, saving the configuration, acking the notification, click off of the interface of interest (so maybe click a different interface), click back onto the interface of interest, changing the power configuration, and saving again.

Even if I change the interface to static power mode using the CLI, if I then try to make any change to that interface in the web GUI, the problem remains.

In summary, I cannot change any property of any interface using the web GUI. Unlike what you saw -- a "clunky" experience that has workarounds -- the only workaround that works for me is using the CLI.

Would you like me to send you my configuration file so you can try to reproduce, or arrange a screen sharing session so I can show you what I'm seeing?

Also, supposedly @shughesj was able to reproduce what I was seeing.

Thanks,

Jon

Ken R
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jon

Please check your private messages.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card