Views
Helpful
Replies

IE3300 Series Switch Connectivity Problems

axel-r
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm in the midst of a general upgrade, upgrading old Catalyst 2960 series switches to new Catalyst IE3300 ones,

Right now I started connecting 2 out of 5 switches I'm supposed to install,

The first one is connected to one of the old switches meanwhile to get connectivity and it managed to connect to all I need to meanwhile, the second one is connected to the first new switch, now it only manages to ping the adjacent first new switch but can't for some reason ping the gateway or any other thing that is not directly connected to it.

What to do, they are identical switches from the IE3300 series, are on the same IP range and everything...

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

From the diagram, it appears to be a problem with switch 1. Can you ensure both switches 1 and 2 have a default gateway pointing to the gateway device at the top and test again?

HTH

Hello, 

Both of the switches have the same default gateway configured. 

Beyond that, switch number 1 can connect to both switch number 2 and also to the rest of the network.

Switch number 2 can only reach switch number 1 for some reason...

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As long as Layer 2 configured correctly and allowed VLAN in the connected switch that should work s expected.

Also what Management VLAN you using, do you have any IP address information .

its good to have below information :

show run

show ip route

show cdp neigh

what is Gateway ? is this router or switch ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

Both switches are on the same management VLAN, which run in turn in the same ip range (c class /24 network)

The gateway is an Cisco ASA firewall, it's an industrial/operational network so CDP is off.

There is no route set but they are in the same network as the gateway, there shouldn't be need for a route no?

unfortunately - we can only keep guessing this side, until we see some output requested.

Its Layer 2 it straight forward to work- but its not working hence this post - so you need to provide more information with traceroute and ping .

Always all the Switch belong to MGMT VLAN should point to Gateway IP, not the next switch IP address, make sure the switch to switch connected as trunk and allowed VLAN inside the trunk.

Take example :

Gateway IP 192.168.100.1

Switch 1 : 192.168.100.2 Gateway - 192.168.100.1

Switch 2 : 192.168.100.3 Gateway - 192.168.100.1

Switch 3 : 192.168.100.4 Gateway - 192.168.100.1

Switch 4 : 192.168.100.5 Gateway - 192.168.100.1

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card