cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

If you default an interface, will all the sub-interfaces be removed as well?

praveenmathew27
Level 1
Level 1

Lets say I have the below config.  

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1

description test
encapsulation dot1Q 201
ip address x.x.x.x
no ip redirects
no ip proxy-arp
standby version 2
standby 201 ip y.y.y.y.y 
standby 201 timers msec 500 2
standby 201 priority 200
standby 201 preempt delay minimum 270 reload 300
standby 201 track 1 decrement 150
!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1.200
description test2
encapsulation dot1Q 200
ip address x.x.x.y
no ip redirects
no ip proxy-arp
standby version 2
standby 200 ip y.y.y.y.x
standby 200 timers msec 500 2
standby 200 priority 150
standby 200 preempt
!

And another 3 sub-interfaces .212, .300, .400 

If i do "default interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1" , will it remove the sub-interfaces as well? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

@praveenmathew27 wrote:

If i do "default interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1" , will it remove the sub-interfaces as well? 

No it will not remove the sub-interfaces it will just default the physical interface only to its default config, the same if you perform a default to a sub-interface, it will just default that specific sub-interface.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thanks for the link, but just wanted to get confirmation, as this is on an ASR1001, running 15.4(1)S1 , using GigabitEthernet interface. 

Hi,

The provided link is very old and As of now, it should not impact on the subinterface if you do default the main interface. However, I would advise you contact with Cisco TAC to get the confirmation.

BR

Tayyab

*** Please rate all helpful responses and mark solutions***

Hello

@praveenmathew27 wrote:

No it will not remove the sub-interfaces it will just default the physical interface only to its default config, the same if you perform a default to a sub-interface, it will just default that specific sub-interface.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card