cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

igmp querier and Multicast routers

jeffreywatson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a L2 network segment using cisco Cat IOS 15.x connected to some checkpoint firewalls.

The firewalls are configured for PIM Dense Mode and basically statically forward traffic to the segment.

I tried setting the quierier to the switch " ip igmp snooping vlan 110 querier address x.x.x.x".

But when I do "show ip igmp querier"  the firewalls are the querier and apparently cannot be changed.

however "show ip igmp quierer vlan 110 detail" shows that the state is "NON-Querier"

So I think that means there is no quierier because the firewalls are not doing it.

Is there anyway to set the switch to be quierier.

was thinking that since the firewall is an Mrouter it has to be quierier ? is that correct ?

This is causing igmp timeouts on the network - thoughts ?

2 Replies 2

Hi jeffreywatson,

Following is the Cisco config guide to configure igmp snooping on cisco catalyst with a very good example. Hope this will help you.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/scg_2960/swigmp.html#11660

Please rate if this is helpful... 

Spooster IT Services Team

playerplease
Level 1
Level 1

Isn't it because of the querier election based on the highest/lowest  IP address ? 

By enabling PIM on your firewall you (may) also enable it as IGMP querier for the LAN, it will then compete with your switche's snooping querier , which will become non-querier if it looses the election .. 

NB : I forgot if the election is based on highest or lowest IP :)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card