cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IGMP setup on 3560

oyvindbj
Level 1
Level 1

My ISP is using a STB that uses multicast to receive TV channels and I have a setup working with pfSense and igmpproxy but I was wondering if I could simplify my setup running the TV stuff on my Cisco switch. 

Currently my setup is like this:

VLAN X/Y -> SFP -> 3560 -> Trunk -> pfSense -> 3560 -> 2960 -> STB

My ISP is connected to my 3560 trunking Internet and TV vlan, this is trunked to my pfSense for fw and igmpproxy and routing LAN traffic on a 192.168.0.0/32 between my 3560 and pfSense. The 3560 is setup with trunk to a 2960 and the STB is connected on a dedicated TV lan (192.168.10.0/24). 

Currently the pfSense is routing TV traffic and some subnets out the TV vlan and running igmpproxy.

Would it be possible to setup the 3560 to do the multicast stuff, without directly routed to my ISP? the 3560 can't get an IP adresse since my ISP only gives DHCP to STB mac address. 

2 Replies 2

Hello,

I am not really clear on what you want to accomplish by using the 3560s for multicast. Can you elaborate ? That said, the 3560 is fully capable of multicast routing:

Configuring IP Multicast Routing

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12-2_52_se/configuration/guide/3560scg/swmcast.html#wp1099221

I'm trying to simplify my setup and remove the pfSense/igmpproxy from the TV setup and have the multicast running on the switch instead.

What I think is a problem is that the switch is not getting an IP from my ISP, I need to route everything through the FW - or?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card