Views
Helpful
Replies

igmp snoop on cisco Nexus7700

ShKhan
Level 1
Level 1

hello everyone,

I have enabled igmp snooping on pair nexus switches, and one of the switches logs shows the following (show ip igmp snooping event-history vlan  ), what is the meaning of the first line ?

2022 Oct 27 14:41:23.185364 igmp [8299]: [8493]: SN: <10> could not find etrack port for (*, 230.1.2.3) on iod:Po12 encap vlan:0 host address:10.10.100.241
2022 Oct 27 14:41:23.185290 igmp [8299]: [8493]: SN: <610> Processing v3 report with 1 group records, packet-size 16 from 10.36.200.241 on Po12
2022 Oct 27 14:41:23.021089 igmp [8299]: [8493]: SN: <610> Deleted ET host 10.10.100.241 for (*,230.1.2.3)
2022 Oct 27 14:41:23.021067 igmp [8299]: [8493]: SN: <610> Removing gentry_exists for (*, 230.1.2.3) on iod:Po12 encap vlan:0 host address:10.10.100.241

11 Replies 11

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Consider using latest advisory software version for the particular model , check if that can help.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

any other suggestion, firmware update wont possible!

Regards

>....firmware update wont possible!

- That could be a showstopper for resolving issues like that.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

switches are just listening to IGMP traffic on the particular vlan , 

Regards

- Note that you most probably because of the mentioned restrictions , you will have to engage Cisco on this matter (contact TAC)

M.

If enable end to end Querier on the Vlan, would it help somehow?

Regards

Hello,

I did a quite extensive search on that log message, but did not get a single hit for anything related to 'etrack port'. Are you using just the IGMP snooping defaults, or do you have anything configured in addition ?

IGMP snooping is globally enabled only, you can say default. No configuration for such querier etc etc 

Regards.

the application which uses the multicast address of 230.1.2.3 " Multicast IP addresses are used for one-to-many and many-to-many communication over an IP network".

The application has sender and receiver for sending messages from sender to receiver via 230.1.2.3 group address.

Regards

I have four switches, and all four Switches have SVI for Vlan 600 with igmp snooping enabled on it, is IGMP Querier still required?

With SVIs on all four switches, it is a routed network now, and according to the guides as mentioned below, "With IGMP snooping on a pure Layer 2 local network (that is, Layer 3 is not enabled on the network)", which means that when end-to-end VLAN is layer2 ( no svi), then igmp querier is required; otherwise it's not.

From Guides:

Using the Device as an IGMP Querier

With IGMP snooping on a pure Layer 2 local network (that is, Layer 3 is not enabled on the network), if the network doesn't include a multicast router, multicast traffic might not be appropriately forwarded through the network.

i am planning to implement the IGMP queirer on the Nexus but  i would like to if it would interrupt any traffic or affect the service in the the target, i am sure pretty sure it wont 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card