cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IGMPv3 receiver can get streaming with v3 querier but failed with v2 querier on the same switch

Qunli Zhang
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Networkers,

When SW_2(2960-X, v15.2) sends the IGMPv2 membership Query(seems I cannot make it to send v3 queries), the client/receiver in IGMP v3 only mode replied the membership Report to 224.0.0.22.

igmp v2 querier

But “show ip igmp snooping group” on the cisco SW_2 doesn’t list the port and the joined multicast group. Also the receiver cannot get the multicast streaming.

Show ip igmp snooping command shows that IGMPv3 snooping is enabled(though “minimal” mentioned there)

SW-2960-X#sh ip igmp snooping vlan 107

Global IGMP Snooping configuration:

-------------------------------------------

IGMP snooping                : Enabled

IGMPv3 snooping (minimal)    : Enabled

After I added one router in the VLAN, disabled the igmp querier feature on the SW2, made the Router_1 as the IGMP querier with IGMP v3,  the same “show ip igmp snooping group” listed the client interface and the multicast group it joins, the stream can reach the receiver from the source.

igmp v3 querier

SW-2960-X#sh ip igmp snooping groups
Vlan      Group                    Type        Version     Port List
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
107       224.0.1.40               igmp        v3          Gi1/0/17
107       225.1.1.1                igmp        v3          Gi1/0/17, Gi1/0/19, Gi1/0/21

I am wondering why the switch_2 behaves differently between the IGMPv2 querier and V3 querier.  The receiver is always sending the IGMP v3 report during the two scenario.

Thanks for your explanation.

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What are the switches and what software version are you using on them?

The SW_2 in the diagram is one 2960-X with IOS 15.2(2)E6.

playerplease
Level 1
Level 1

if your switch can only talk igmpv2 then he won't be able to understand the igmpv3 membership reports sent on 224.0.0.22. So no snooping I think :(

Hello

I am wondering why the switch_2 behaves differently between the IGMPv2 querier and V3 querier

Playerplease is correct - When snooping is enabled the switch it doesn't understand igmp v3 messages, so options i guess would be disable snooping or user igmpv2 on the interfaces instead

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card