cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

%ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Gi2/0/7: Power Controller reports power Tstart error detected

Noob_PNA
Level 1
Level 1

Let me begin by saying that i am a novice at This. I have a Cisco 3750G Switch. I have updated the IOS to: BOOT path-list : flash:/c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE12.bin Config file : flash:/config.text Private Config file : flash:/private-config.text Enable Break : no Manual Boot : no HELPER path-list : Auto upgrade : yes Auto upgrade path : NVRAM/Config file buffer size: 524288 Timeout for Config Download: 0 seconds Config Download via DHCP: disabled (next boot: disabled) I have POE enabled on the port. I continue to to get an error stating: *Mar 1 03:36:04.467: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Gi2/0/7: Power Device detected: IEEE PD *Mar 1 03:36:05.465: %ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Gi2/0/7: Power Controller reports power Tstart error detected I ran test cable tdr interface Gi2/0/7 The Result TDR test last run on: March 01 03:32:28 Interface Speed Local pair Pair length Remote pair Pair status --------- ----- ---------- ------------------ ----------- -------------------- Gi2/0/7 auto Pair A 2 +/- 4 meters N/A Open Pair B 2 +/- 4 meters N/A Open Pair C 2 +/- 4 meters N/A Open Pair D 2 +/- 4 meters N/A Short Same cable different port TDR test last run on: March 01 03:40:41 Interface Speed Local pair Pair length Remote pair Pair status --------- ----- ---------- ------------------ ----------- -------------------- Gi2/0/9 100M Pair A 0 +/- 4 meters Pair A Normal Pair B 1 +/- 4 meters Pair B Normal Pair C 1 +/- 4 meters Pair C Normal Pair D 3 +/- 4 meters Pair D Short Can someone tell me why this particular port wont work?

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Noob_PNA,

your message is almost unreadable you should edit it adding some <enter> to separate sections.

The specific port can be not working.

You say that using the same cable you get better results of TDR test on another port.

To avoid the log messge you can also disable POE on the port.

As explained here

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/ilpower-3-controller-port-err/td-p/2532847

>> Pair "D" controls GigabitEthernet and Pair "C" controls PoE. Look at the "Staus" column. See the result? Ideally, you want the result to be NORMAL. A result of "Short" is no good. 

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The TDR result from Gi 2/0/7 is of no use because all 4 pairs are reporting "OPEN" which means there is nothing connected to Gi 2/0/7.
The result from Gi 2/0/9 shows Pair "C" as NORMAL. Pair "C" controls PoE, however, Pair "D" controls GigabitEthernet. TDR result from port Gi 2/0/9 shows that Pair "D" as "short" and this means the end device will only work in 10/100BaseTx speed.
I suspect this issue is due to CSCsw18530.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card