cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Im having issues with streaming multicast traffic throughout my network

Ben.andrew12345
Level 1
Level 1

So im fairly new to multicast routing and my first exposure is trying to get it to work on quiet a large network. If i can get it to work across one link i cab reoeat for everything else though. A snapshot of what im working with looks like this:

MULTICAST SOURCE --> 3x 3750g (stacked) --> 3975 router --> 2951 router --> 3750g --> client. This is just 1 of 14 'networks' and from the 3975 to the 2951 it envolves tunnels and vlans. Due to security i cant really provide ips. Just looking for advice on how i route this **bleep**! Ive got a rp address. Multicast routing enabled. Join groups everywhere. And im using pim sparse-dense. Will the switches being stacked be an issue? Am i better off connecting the sourse to a router first rather then a switch? Any help is welcome.

2 Replies 2

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Make sure you have ip pim sparse-dense-mode configured on routed interfaces

Make sure ip pim rp-address is configured on all routers

Makes sure source is using ttl that allows multicast stream to traverse the network 

What tunnels are you using? Switch stack should not be an issue as long as igmp snooping is enabled, usually is enabled by default.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Pim sparse-dense is on all routed interfaces and each router knows the rp address. The source ttl is set to 48 as default i cant imagine i would need to be higher. We are running GRE tunnels. Ill have to check the snooping. Prettt sure the show run said it was 'no igmp snooping'. If i do a 'show ip pim rp-mapping the far router can see it fine but the close router has (?) After the rp address

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card