Views
Helpful
Replies

Increasing ping times

Craig Phillips
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

Have recently installed a new 2960X switch stack in our environment. It is directly connected to our 4500X core (in which all our ALS are connected to). Noticed some weird-ness when pinging the management IP on the 2960X from a computer.

Here's what I am seeing...

time=1ms TTL=254
time=7ms TTL=254
time=9ms TTL=254
time=10ms TTL=254
time=11ms TTL=254
time=12ms TTL=254
time=1ms TTL=254

Seems to go up to ~12ms response then back down to 1 and it just keeps going up and down. There are two uplinks from the 2960X to the core... I disabled one of the links to get rid of any spanning-tree issue and the problem still occurs. (though Spanning-tree was blocking one link correctly for the management VLAN). Have also checked the CPU on the 2960X and it's sitting around 40% utilization.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this odd behaviour?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would not  worry about it , pinging the management address is not a good judge of response.  Ping devices hung off of the 2960 to get more valid response times .  It is going to vary depending on what the switch is doing at the time as ICMP replies are way down the ladder on things the switch is going to handle at a given time.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would not  worry about it , pinging the management address is not a good judge of response.  Ping devices hung off of the 2960 to get more valid response times .  It is going to vary depending on what the switch is doing at the time as ICMP replies are way down the ladder on things the switch is going to handle at a given time.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card