Views
Helpful
Replies

Inquiry regarding cisco router bdi/bvi stp

김선명
Level 1
Level 1

Hi~

I know that if you use CISCO BDI or BVI, it works as L2/L3.
If so, will spanning tree work with BVI or BDI?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @김선명 

BDI and BVI themselves do not participate directly in STP as they operate at Layer 3. However, the Layer 2 components (switchports, SVIs) associated with the VLANs and bridge domains may participate in STP to ensure loop-free operation.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

@김선명 

Yes, when I mention "switchports," I'm referring to the ethernet port on a switch where you can create VLAN. These ports can be part of a bridge domain, and they are the interfaces where Layer 2 activities such as VLAN configuration and STP occur.

As concerned "bridge domain," I'm talking about a logical entity that defines a Layer 2 broadcast domain in ACI or traditional switching. In the context of a Cisco router with integrated switching or a cisco switch runing in Layer 3 mode, you may configure a bridge domain and associate it with one or more interfaces (including switchports) to define the Layer 2 behavior.

Best regards

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @김선명 

BDI and BVI themselves do not participate directly in STP as they operate at Layer 3. However, the Layer 2 components (switchports, SVIs) associated with the VLANs and bridge domains may participate in STP to ensure loop-free operation.

Best regards

M02@rt37 Thanks for the answer!

I have an additional question!

When you say switchports, are you referring to the ones where you can create VLANs when you put an Ethernet module on the router?

And when you say bridge domain, do you mean just add a bridge domain to the Ethernet port?

@김선명 

Yes, when I mention "switchports," I'm referring to the ethernet port on a switch where you can create VLAN. These ports can be part of a bridge domain, and they are the interfaces where Layer 2 activities such as VLAN configuration and STP occur.

As concerned "bridge domain," I'm talking about a logical entity that defines a Layer 2 broadcast domain in ACI or traditional switching. In the context of a Cisco router with integrated switching or a cisco switch runing in Layer 3 mode, you may configure a bridge domain and associate it with one or more interfaces (including switchports) to define the Layer 2 behavior.

Best regards

M02@rt37  Thank you for your reply!!

You're so welcome @김선명 

Best regards
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card