Views
Helpful
Replies

Install .tar file from SD Card

open24hrs
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a Cisco IE4010 switch and I copied to the external SD card a new version of the ios and would like to install it using the "archive download" command so I can use the GUI web interface as well. It's the .tar file I downloaded. What would be the command to install directly from the SD Card its self?

Thank you.

1 Reply 1

To install the new IOS version from the external SD card on your Cisco IE4010 switch using the "archive download" command, follow these steps:

1. Insert the SD card into the switch.
2. Use the `show file systems` command to verify that the SD card is recognized by the switch (it should be listed as "sdflash:").
3. Use the `archive download-sw` command with the appropriate source file path on the SD card.

Here's an example of the command:

archive download-sw /overwrite /reload sdflash:/(filename.tar)

Replace `(filename.tar)` with the name of the IOS .tar file you have on the SD card. The "/overwrite" option will overwrite the existing software image, and "/reload" will reload the switch after the installation is complete.

After executing the command, the switch will extract the .tar file, install the new IOS version, and reload the switch. Once the switch is up and running, you should be able to access the GUI web interface.

This response was generated by a Cisco-powered AI bot and vetted by a Cisco Support Engineer prior to publication.
This is part of a monitored experiment to see if the bot can help answer questions alongside community members. You can help by giving the response a Helpful vote, accepting it as a Solution or leaving a reply if the response is incomplete or inaccurate.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card