Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface output drops

Azeem Dawood
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I don't know how to resolve a problem like output drops on an interface (cisco 6500). On my 6500 switchport a server is connected directly but usually only on that interface i can see a large amount of drops from output queue.

If anyone knows how to resolve this problem pls help me.

Pls see the below output from the affected interface...

GigabitEthernet2/20 is up, line protocol is up (connected)

Hardware is C6k 1000Mb 802.3, address is xxxxxxxxx

Description: xxxxxxx

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 2/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s

input flow-control is off, output flow-control is on

Clock mode is auto

ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00

Last input never, output 00:00:11, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters 01:20:04

Input queue: 0/2000/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 26652872

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)

5 minute input rate 786000 bits/sec, 610 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 10517000 bits/sec, 1877 packets/sec

2962329 packets input, 481699583 bytes, 0 no buffer

Received 1683 broadcasts (111 multicasts)

0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input

0 input packets with dribble condition detected

10821851 packets output, 6542469256 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets

0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred

0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

Thanks,

Azeem

8 Replies 8

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Can you confrrim whether the line card is fully utilized.

Thanks

Dear Mahmood,

Thanks for the reply. Yes the line card id fully utilized but ouput drops comes for this interface only.

Thanks

Hi,

I think it is due to over subscription issue with the line card or with the cabling.

Kindly invetigate the subscription ratio and cabling.

Thanks

OK. Many thanks. But will be happy to know what had caused this thing. Only physical layer problem can initiate this issue output drops.

any other technique to figure out physical layer problem.

Good point.

Exactly WHAT model is the line card?  If it's NOT a 67XX line card then you have a problem.  This is because the 67XX line card is designed for high-speed servers.  61XX, 63XX and 65XX are NOT designed to be connected to servers.

Thanks for your reply,

My line card model is 6500, but as you said this line card is not meant for the high speed servers, would like to tell you that only few servers are facing this problem and those servers are not even that critical. Moreover one of the server is simply a workstation on which a server image is installed. So what do you think now? ok i will check by connecting a new network cable n hope that issue will get resolve but not sure.

Many thanks again.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained  within this posting without consideration and with the reader's  understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or  fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational  purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional  advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at  reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

Many of the Catalyst line cards share hardware resources across multiple ports, even 67xx line cards.  Exceeding the hardware resources will often lead to drops.  So, you can try to not exceed shared resources by how you share/utilize them.

For instance, your cards might share output buffers across groups of 8 ports.  Such a line card might only support true wire rate using just 1 of its 8 ports (in same group).  If you have such a busy port, you might find you have to not use the other 7 ports within the same group.  Similar consideration for other combinations.  For a group of 8, two ports at 25% and one port at 50% utilization averages might be fine.

You might find just redistributing ports by usage, across the port groups, will benefit overall performance.  For example, you might place the busiest and least busy port in the 1st group, 2nd busiest and 2nd least busiest in 2nd group, etc.

Thanks,

I will do that..

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card