Views
Helpful
Replies

interface packet count

josephschung
Level 1
Level 1

Sir,

We are managing a LAN with 10000 switch ports. We observe that some assigned ports are not being used for sometimes and come up with the idea to reassign those idle ports. For example, we want to release those ports have no traffice for 3 months.

Is there any way to check how long a port has been idle? Or is there any tool we can use to scan the switch interface for this?

Thank you.

13 Replies 13

Hi Joseph,

You can check Last input in "show interface ", which will  give you thie idea of time when there was last input on that particular interface.

Alternatively, if you have snmp tool ( like MRTG or Cacti, etc) already deployed, just check when was TX or RX was present on that port.

Regards,

Smitesh

PS: Please rate helpful posts....

Hi Genesh,

What I need is to identify how long has been a swith port been ideled so as to conclude if it is being used or not.

We have Solarwinds here, but only monitored port will provide statistics. However, monitoring all 10000 ports will generate too much traffic and our Solarwinds server cannot stand it.

Any other idea?

Thank you.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

josephschung wrote:

Sir,

We are managing a LAN with 10000 switch ports. We observe that some assigned ports are not being used for sometimes and come up with the idea to reassign those idle ports. For example, we want to release those ports have no traffice for 3 months.

Is there any way to check how long a port has been idle? Or is there any tool we can use to scan the switch interface for this?

Thank you.

Hello ,

As stated by the above post normally

Last Input Never from the Output of Show interface Command

Switch#show interface TenGigabitEthernet1/15

Last input never means there was no successful interface packet transfer to other end point or terminal. Usually this means there was no packet transfer relative to that entity.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh

Thank you Ganesh for the information.

josephschung wrote:

Thank you Ganesh for the information.

Hello Joseph,

If the above post was helpful or if you required any further information ...let us know

Hope to help !!

Ganesh

Dear Ganesh,

The posts so far still cannot meet the need in our 10000 switch port environment. We need an operation solution to know which swich port has been idled for certain period of time.

I am thinking is there any tool will snapshot of all switch ports' interface packet value and out put the data into a good format so that we can compare sanpshots to know if there is increase in packet count.

Or do you have other idea?

Thank you!

josephschung wrote:

Dear Ganesh,

The posts so far still cannot meet the need in our 10000 switch port environment. We need an operation solution to know which swich port has been idled for certain period of time.

I am thinking is there any tool will snapshot of all switch ports' interface packet value and out put the data into a good format so that we can compare sanpshots to know if there is increase in packet count.

Or do you have other idea?

Thank you!

Hello ,

Try switch port monitor tool which is free download and can give you a desired result

http://www.flukenetworks.com/content/switch-port-monitor-download-web

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh

Hello Ganesh,

The switch port monitor seems using the same approch as Solarwinds, monitor the switch in real time, which is a good alert tool for incident but will generate traffic contineously. I think we need to tool to scan once and build a report instead of monitoring the switch all the time.

Thank you.

Hello Alessio,

Once in a while, we may enable ip accouting on specific switch port for information collection. But, for 10000 ports and implement it as daily operation, that will cause performance issue and the logs volumn will be huge.

Is there other idea?

Thank you.

you can use perl script to interpret the result of each "show interface "

Hello Adnane,

I did not use perl script for this before. Do you have more tips on it? Thank you.

If the switches are 4500s, you can use the 'show int link' command.  Here is an example from a 4500 of mine.  I have not seen documentation on this and I don't understand why, nor why it is only available on 4500 series.

Port    Name               Down Time        Down Since

Te1/1                      29 weeks, 5 days, 21 hours, 15 minutes 40 secs      20:24:52  Sat Apr 14 2012

Te1/2                      29 weeks, 5 days, 21 hours, 15 minutes 40 secs      20:24:52  Sat Apr 14 2012

Gi1/3                      29 weeks, 5 days, 21 hours, 15 minutes 40 secs      20:24:52  Sat Apr 14 2012

Gi1/4                      29 weeks, 5 days, 21 hours, 15 minutes 40 secs      20:24:52  Sat Apr 14 2012

Gi1/5                      29 weeks, 5 days, 21 hours, 15 minutes 40 secs      20:24:52  Sat Apr 14 2012

Gi1/6                      29 weeks, 5 days, 21 hours, 15 minutes 40 secs      20:24:52  Sat Apr 14 2012

Gi2/1                      29 weeks, 5 days, 21 hours, 15 minutes 40 secs      20:24:52  Sat Apr 14 2012

Gi2/2                      29 weeks, 5 days, 21 hours, 15 minutes 40 secs      20:24:52  Sat Apr 14 2012

Gi2/3                      5 weeks, 10 hours, 57 minutes 32 secs      06:43:00  Fri Oct 5 2012

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card