Views
Helpful
Replies

interface vlans and vlans

iamtheone12345
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Could you please tell me the difference between interface vlans and vlan?

An example to illustrate this would be great.

The only idea i have is that we configure vlan interfaces is for remote mangement of a switch.

And normal Vlans are configured in the switch to separate the switch into different broadcast domains.

Anything else?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you want your L3 switch  to pass traffic between the vlans,then you need to have int vlan for all the vlans...Otherwise ,we can set up router to pass traffic between vlans ..Remember "router on a stick" ?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ankugarg
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Arjun,

Interface vlan acts as the virtual layer 3 interface for the ports belonging to that particular vlan.

You can consider 1vlan = 1 subnet.

For all the hosts,which are in particular vlan,if you intend to provide default gateway,you can't just point it to any other ip address.It has to be ip address on "int vlan" for that particular vlan.

DHCP ip addresses to hosts are also provided based on the ip of int vlan,for the hosts belonging to that vlan.

Hope this helps.Let me know any specific explanation you are looking for.

Hi Ankur,

Thanx for the reply.Does that mean that i need to configure interface vlans for each and every Normal vlans that i create?

Or all the normal vlans(say i created a few ) can use the same interface Vlan?

If you want your L3 switch  to pass traffic between the vlans,then you need to have int vlan for all the vlans...Otherwise ,we can set up router to pass traffic between vlans ..Remember "router on a stick" ?

Thank you Ankur!!!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card