Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interfacing a BNC Ethernet with a RJ-45 interface

I have legacy equipment using a BNC as an Ethernet connector. In the past we used AUI to BNC adaptors but nowadays they're hard to come by especially in the DC version. I was thinking of using RJ-45 to BNC adaptors but the ones that are cheap are made for video. Would they be okay for using with Ethernet?

6 Replies 6

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

BNC uses 10Base2.  It is not the same as 10BaseT.

RF-45 to BNC video adaptors will not work.  You need something to convert the protocol.

That's what I thought. Thanks for your explanation.

There are options still around - but they're generally not cheap.

Have a look at this one as an example: https://www.blackbox.com/Store/us/Detail.aspx/Compact-Media-Converter-10BASE-T-10BASE2/LMC009A-R5

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

I know about those and the price is the problem. I might be using another model which converts AUI directly to Ethernet that might be cheaper. Thanks for you answer.

AUI is 10Base-5 which is different to the 10Base-2 BNC connector you were discussing before.  But if you've already got the 10Base-2 to 10Base-5 (AUI) converter, then you can use another cheaper AUI to 10Base-T converter on that (something like this: 10Base-T to 10Base-5).  It does add a possible additional point of failure in your network and possibly increases your troubleshooting process if/when there's an issue.  Although, on the same web site, they have a cheaper T to 2 converter which may help you if it's purely price you're concerned with.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Thanks Wayne.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card