Views
Helpful
Replies

Intermittent connectivity issues on one vm

djrampage7
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

We've been experiencing intermittent connectivity issues to external sites from one machine.  What happens is when trying to connect to an external site either by DNS or up, the connection takes a long time.  Sometimes we get a message that the connection timed out.  Eventually after a few minutes we are able to connect.  This is only happening to one server in my network.  The other servers in the same clan do not experience this issue.  This environment has been up for a couple of years now and this started after we rebooted the server.  We did have logmein hamachi and another logmein agent running on the machine which have been uninstalled.

Here is our environment:

Windows 2012 datatcenter server running on a highly available VMware esxi 2 node cluster.

Cisco 3750 cluster

Cisco 5520 firewall.

There are a few vms in this environment but this one vm is the only one experiencing this issue and it seems to have started after rebooting the vm.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Changed DNS servers on vm (no effect)

Changed virtual nic on vm (no effect)

Disabled ipv6 on vm (no effect)

Failed over vm to other node to eliminate host related issues (no effect)

Failed over another vm to the same host that my problem vm is on to duplicate the issue (the other vm didnt experience the issue)

Changed the IP address of the server.  This is the only thing that seemed to work, but I can't change the IP address of the server due to the application running on it.

So it has something to do with the IP address of this box.  Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot and fix this issue?

2 Replies 2

djrampage7
Level 1
Level 1

anyone have any thoughts on this?

Do you have multiple NIC's on the box?  Can you give us the output of netstat -rn or route print ?

There also may be something "odd" in the bindings, from a virtual to the ESX host that are different on that particular slice.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card