cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traceroute output do not show firewall as next-hop while firewall is connected by SVI from my core-SW

olly ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a question. In my production network I saw in a layer-3 switch there is configured a default route pointing towards next-hop ip (virtual IP of firewall inside) and the next-hop ip block is configured in a VLAN in the layer-3 switch. When I do trace I do not see the firewall ip address in the trace. Here you can tell that might be firewall is denying trace. But my observation is, if firewall is denying trace then I could see some timeout result for a hop in the trace path. But I did not see any timeout in the trace path rather I saw another IP address which is not the next-hop ip that we configured, it is the IP of a NIPS which is connected to outside interface of the firewall. Can anyone help to understand what is happening here ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Which firewall are you using? If it's a Cisco ASA, it would be normal behavior as the ASA doesn't decrement the TTL by default. If you wan't to see the ASA in a traceroute, it can be enable with MPF.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Which firewall are you using? If it's a Cisco ASA, it would be normal behavior as the ASA doesn't decrement the TTL by default. If you wan't to see the ASA in a traceroute, it can be enable with MPF.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card