cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet address will be assigned dynamically by the network

rcolin
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a LTE CISCO router CISCO-IR829GW-LTE-GGA-EK9. I have a SIM card inserted in slot 0. Cellular connection works properly (verified with "show cellular 0 network" command). I would like to know my public IP address but when I run "show ip interface Cellular 0 | inc Internet" command, it returns "Internet address will be assigned dynamically by the network". When I run "show ip interface brief" command, it tells me that for "Cellular0", "IP-Address" is "unassigned". I know that I have one because I control the network, and I decided which address to give to my 4G router. I just want to check that it works properly, but I can't find a way to see the assigned IP address on my router. Do I do something wrong? Or does it exist another way to show the public IP address assigned by the network?

10 Replies 10

DarylBrooks
Level 1
Level 1

Unless I've misunderstood your question, the easiest way would probably be to connect a device such as a laptop to the router on an access port, and navigate to http://www.whatsmyip.org/

This will show you your current public IP address.

Thanks, your solution works for half of my problem (and I didn't even have thought about it!). But I am also using a networking simulator which is not connected to the Internet. This is the main part of my problem. I would like to use IPv6 to make my connection, but I can't find a way to be sure that IPv6 is used as I cannot see the IP address of my 4G router. "show ipv6 interface Cellular 0" does not return anything. Does that mean I'm only using IPv4 ?

Hello,

you probably have NAT configured. The command 'sh ip nat translations' should give you the external address as well...

Thanks for your answer. "show ip nat translations" command does not give any result unfortunately.

Hello,

can you post the configuration of your router ?

Hello, you can find a document containing the result of "show running-config" in attachment. Note that I didn't configure the router, a coworker did it, so it might contain some information I don't know about. Thank you!

Hello,

can you post the output of 'show cellular 0/0/0 profile' where 0/0/0 might differ on your router ?

Profile 1 = ACTIVE* **
--------
PDP Type = IPv4
PDP address = 10.160.3.108
Access Point Name (APN) = mobiledata
Authentication = None
Primary DNS address = 176.241.248.126
Secondary DNS address = 176.241.248.127

Note that I changed the APN. Before I changed, profile was INACTIVE (but still connected), with no PDP address, no DNS address. When I go to www.whatsmyip.org, the address is not 10.160.3.108. It is 176.241.250.28. Which one should I consider ?

Now I see the 10.x.x.x address with every command... Expect changing the APN, I didn't do anything else, and I already got connection before that. How can this be explained ?

Hello,

176.241.248.126 translates to ns1.gsm.transatel.net, so it is fair to assume that the 176 addresses are your nameserver, and the 10 address is your actual IP address.

Changing APNs could be related to roaming access points ? 

Thanks. If I understand correctly, my IP address is 10.160.3.108. The DNS server I am using is 176.241.248.126. But I still don't understand why www.whatsmyip.org returns 176.241.250.28.
I changed back the APN to my first one, and everything worked properly. I still don't understand why the IP addresses were not displayed before. And that was my original question.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card