Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet Bandwidth Issue

samirshaikh52
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

We have purchased a new fiber internet connection with 100 MBPS speed. We are using a cisco roouter cisco1921k/9. We have connected Cat6 cablet from fiber MDU switch to router WAN port.I am doing a speed test using speedtest.net website and bandwidth reaches upto 12mb only.

Its PPPoE connection.

I would highly appreciate any help.

Thanks

9 Replies 9

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Could be several things.

Your 100 Mbps isn't just a fastEthernet hand-off, it's full 100 Mbps in both directions (i.e. no logical caps)?

You mention PPPoE.  So is available MTU 1492?  If so, are you configured for this to avoid fragmentation?  Do you use ip mss-adjust?

You realize Cisco only recommends a 1921 for up to 15 Mbps of WAN bandwidth?  Properly configured, I would expect better than 12 Mbps, but if your is really 100 Mbps duplex, a 1921 is underpowered.

Also keep in mind if you are running any additional services on the router, like firewall, VPN, NAT and/or IPS, you will see a significant reduction in throughput.

As Joseph says, for a 100Mb link, the 1921 is not a great fit.

Ok Got it.

Can I get Cisco 2921 Seck/9

If you're doing IPS or IPSEC, you won't get the throughput with a 2921 either. Zone based firewall + NAT should work ok though.

No I will only use as Internet.

The DHCP hosts will be 1000 and NATed to access internet.

Thanks

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You didn't confirm your bidirectional bandwidth. If 100 Mbps (duplex) even an 2921 might be too small.

To help you select a router, based on its performance vs. your network feature needs, I've attached a Cisco whitepaper that documents performance for most of the current ISRs.

I have 1200 hosts behind NAT.

I have upload speed around 20MB

Please can you help me to choose the router.

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Ok, for a total of 120 Mbps (100/20), the Cisco whitepaper recommendation would be for a 3945.  However, if you actual expected traffic usage will be less, you can size smaller.  Conversely, if you anticipate you may increase bandwidth within a year or so, you may want to size larger.

devanand.s
Level 1
Level 1

Why do you choose to use router for Internet.

You can look-in for a Firewall like 5505 / 5510.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card