Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet speed allocation on cisco router 2921

Koffman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a 100mbps internet connection from the ISP and I would like to share this speed between 5 offices (allocate 20mbps to each office). I have a cisco router 2921 connected to the ISP, a cisco switch 3750 as backbone for the LAN, and  Cisco switch 2960 as distribution switches for each office.

I have created 5 VLANs on the 3750 switch for each office.

How can I configure share the 100mbps between the 5 VLANs on the Cisco router 2921?

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you truly wish to limit each office to 20 Mbps, or guarantee at least 20 Mbps to each office?

BTW, for traffic from the Internet, we can insure an office will be limited in the bandwidth it can obtain, but not guarantee it any bandwidth.

saagar
Level 1
Level 1
  1. Access the Router: Access the router's command-line interface via SSH or a direct console connection.
  2. Enable QoS: Enable QoS on the router with the following command:

Router(config)# qos

1. Create Class Maps: You will create class maps to match traffic from each VLAN.

Router(config)# class-map match-all VLAN1 Router(config-cmap)# match vlan 1 Router(config-cmap)# exit Router(config)# class-map match-all VLAN2 Router(config-cmap)# match vlan 2 Router(config-cmap)# exit

Repeat this process for each of the 5 VLANs.

1. Create a Policy Map: Create a policy map that defines the bandwidth allocation for each class map (VLAN).

Router(config)# policy-map VLAN-POLICY Router(config-pmap)# class VLAN1 Router(config-pmap-c)# bandwidth remaining percent 20 Router(config-pmap-c)# exit Router(config-pmap)# class VLAN2 Router(config-pmap-c)# bandwidth remaining percent 20 Router(config-pmap-c)# exit

Repeat this process for each VLAN, setting the bandwidth remaining percent to 20% for each.

1. Apply the Policy Map: Apply the policy map to the WAN (internet-facing) interface of the router.

Router(config)# interface GigabitEthernet0/0 // This is an example interface, replace with your WAN interface Router(config-if)# service-policy output VLAN-POLICY

1. Verify and Save Configuration: Verify your QoS configuration by running show policy-map interface GigabitEthernet0/0 (replace with your WAN interface).
  2. Save the Configuration: After testing and ensuring the QoS configuration is correct, save the router's configuration to make it persistent.

Router# copy running-config startup-config

This configuration will ensure that each VLAN gets its allocated 20Mbps share of the 100Mbps internet connection. If one VLAN is not using its allocated bandwidth, other VLANs can utilize the unused capacity, up to their allocated 20Mbps. Be sure to adapt the interface names and VLAN numbers to match your specific network setup.

@saagar regarding your reply, IMO, "it needs work".

Thank you very much for the showing me the steps.

I will run this config  and confirm.

Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card