cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet to switch from Firewall

kcross
Level 1
Level 1

So we are gearing up to replace a netgear switch with a Cisco Catalyst 9300 and I have a few questions regarding the config between the switch and the firewall. The firewall acts as a DCHP server, DNS, and handles all routing so in our case the switch will only act as a Layer 2 device. In our case Gigabit Ethernet 1/0/1 is connected to the firewall as a trunk port to pass all other VLAN traffic to it. We have the default gateway set to 10.10.1.10 which is a apart of the VLAN 1 subnet on the firewall (10.10.1.1). Would using VLAN 1 cause any issues with passing traffic since this is the default subnet? I will share a copy of our cisco switch config as well as the interfaces on the firewall. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also in our config does it show VLAN 1 is even created? I imagine it is because it is the default vlan but would like some confirmation on this as well

5 Replies 5

kcross
Level 1
Level 1

Also, is there a reason I am unable to see the first port gigabit ethernet 1/0/1? 

kcross_0-1670343855028.png

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Per below config, the default gateway is part of vlan 5. Also, there is no access port assigned to vlan 5 on the this switch. 

interface Vlan5 ip address 10.20.1.10 255.255.255.0 ! ip default-gateway 10.20.1.1

I apologize, the VLAN 5 is apart of a test network, we will be moving the default gateway to 10.10.1.1 and using VLAN 1 

In our live environment the default gateway will be 10.10.1.1 which is why we have the SVI created for VLAN 1 (10.10.1.10). Would using VLAN 1 cause any sorta issues here?

Vlan 1 should work fine, but for security reasons, most organizations shut down vlan 1 altogether and use a different VLAN as the native vlan.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card