Views
Helpful
Replies

interVLAN on Layer 3 and Router

redrain12
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to configure VLAN on layer 3 switch and I want to connect that layer 3 swith with router and that router is connected with frame relay.

I have 1 layer 3 swtich and I configured two vlans on f0/3 (ip: 10.10.1.0) and f0/2 (ip:10.10.2.0). I can ping from one vlan to other vlan.

How can I poing from vlans to router f0/1 (ip: 192.168.0.0)?

please check attached image

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Looks like you need version 5.3.2 of Packet Tracer.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

shillings
Level 4
Level 4

Just configure your 3560s f0/1 as a routed layer-3 interface and assign the /30 IP address. Then point its default gateway to the 1841 - i.e. the other end of your /30

Also ensure a default gateway is configured on all your other network devices that you wish to reach the frame-relay cloud and beyond.

Thank you for your help. It is working fine now but my IT-PC1 still not geting IP from the DHCP Server0. I tried "ip helper-address 10.10.1.10" (dhcp server ip address) command both on 3560s f0/1 and 1841 Router f0/0.

pjmonline
Level 1
Level 1

IP helper needs to be on the vlan interface and not the actual ports.

Config t
Int vlan 2
Ip helper-address 10.10.1.10

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Dear Paul,

you are right. It suppose to be configure on interface vlan 2 in 3560s Switch but "ip helper-address" command is not avaliable on vlan interface in Packet Tracer. Thats why I tried on actual ports.

Is it still not working? If so, is DHCP server enabled on the 3560?

Dear shillings

Server-PT (Server0) is my DHCP server. I configured the ip pool for vlan2. If I assign a static ip 10.10.2.10 255.255.255.0 on my PC-PT (IT-PC1) vlan2 then I can ping 10.10.1.10 (my DHCP server) on vlan1. My IT-PC1 not geting IP from DHCP server. I tried "ip helper-address 10.10.1.10" command on  both 3560s f0/1 and 1841 Router f0/0 interfaces but nothing happen. I tried to applied  "ip helper-address 10.10.1.10" command on interface vlan1 and interface vlan2 in 3560s switch but ip helper-address command not avaliable on vlan interfaces.

Still I don't know where to apply ip helper command?

Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. The service dhcp global command is required in order for the ip helper-address command to function properly, even if you don't actually want to make the 3560 act as your LANs DHCP server. The service dhcp command is enabled by default, but some people disable it when going through the SAFE best practice recommendations.

However, if you can't even enter the ip helper-address command under a VLAN interface (SVI), then maybe that's not the issue - unless Cisco has added some kind of pre-requisite that the service dhcp command be there before the ip helper-address command is even available.

What is the part number, IOS version and feature set of your 3560?

Everything working in default mode. I did'nt change anything in 3560 switch.

I think ip helper-command is not avalible in packet tracer 5.3 because packet tracer is made only for CCNA, otherwise it suppose to be apply on "interface vlanX" on 3560.

Please check the attached image:

In this lab I used Layer 2 Switch f0/1 is a trunk port and I configured "ip helper-address" command on Base Router Interface f0/0.20. My all PCs are getting IP from DHCP Server (10.10.2.3/24). Thats why I think ip helper-address command is not avalible in Layer 3 switch.

Looks like you need version 5.3.2 of Packet Tracer.

Thanks, its working fine in PT 5.3.3

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card