Views
Helpful
Replies

Invalid source MAC address

blindson76
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

i’v a Cisco ME 3400 series switch with default configuration. A special network device is connected on it and this device just sends broadcast ip packets. But this device has a MAC address starts with 11-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx and i have no access to change it. Because this mac address is not a valid source Mac address, the switch drops packets coming from this device. 
This make sense because source Mac address can’t be multicast Mac address but i can’t change it and i need to use it as is.
Is there any way to configure the switch to accept packets like this?

Thank you

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Some Odd device behave like this, Identify the device where physical connected and contact Vendor about the issue.

Make sure they have update on their firmware upto date on the device, so you sure you can get proper MAC Address from the end devices. until that is fixed its hard to fix  this kind of issue.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for response. The device is obsolete and there is no support anymore. 

can not be multicast MAC! how you know this is multicast ?
if you sure it multicast try
try use ip igmp static to forward any traffic to other port. 

MHM

I know this is as multicast MAC address because the least significant bit of first octet of the address is 1. I'v tried to static forwarding but it is not work in this case. 

I need to tell don't check the source MAC address of packet to the switch some way.

Switch do not have control on the end device MAC address masking.

you need to check the vendor documentation to see anything can be changed there.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card