Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS 15.x/Memory in Catalyst 2960 Switches series

Saeedullah Khan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am just planning to upgrade the IOS on our 2960 Series switches with currently we have 12.x but planning to 15.x.

I have tested on our test environment and found one issue that related to memory utilization as on 12.x IOS they are using very little memory but when tested on 15.x they are using a lots of memory and little free available.

I have few questions.

1. Why this new IOS 15.x utilizing huge memory? and little memory available.

2. What will be happen if the switch is running fully loaded (i.e. Processor 80-90% utilization) then i think the available memory will also be fully utilized?

3. Can we upgrade the memory module in the switch as i don't see any memory module in 2960 so where are the memory module in switches as these memory built-in in the Processor?

Regards,

Saeed

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is currently an ongoing CPU and memory hog bug with 15.0(1) and 15.0(2).  The "safest" is 15.0(2)SE4.

I have tested it on 15.0(2)SE6 that is the latest build but let me check it on SE4 but i think if the issue resolve in SE4 then it means it should be corrected in SE6 as well.

Just to test it on 15.0(2)SE4 and same issue the memory is allocating 70% but when we check it on 12.x as using 30%.

I don't know as this is a bug? /or there is some other technical things that had be involved.

15.0.2-SE6 has the gold star\black outline which means it's "Cisco Suggested",  however I've yet to ever find anything that describes why its Suggested.  

It would be really beneficial if more people commented on releases inside of the download section.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card