Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS bin file upload to a C4503 switch via console port

ZogoHUN01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody!

I would like to upload a new IOS bin file to a C4503 switch via the console port. I have tried it with ROMmon, but I don't find xmodem or copy xmodem command in the ROMmon. I use Hyperterminal on my PC for the procedure.

Is my ROMmon version not good perhaps?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_configuration_example09186a0080094ecf.shtml

When the Supervisor II-Plus, III, IV or V-equipped switch boots up or       resets, there are these two possibilities:

The switch starts up normally and displays the           Hostname> prompt or the default           Switch> prompt.

The switch cannot find the image, the image is corrupt, no image is           present in the bootflash device, or the boot variable is set incorrectly and           therefore winds up in ROM monitor (ROMmon) mode. It displays the           rommon> prompt. In ROMmon mode, the switch           must be able to locate a valid system image from either the bootflash device or           the slot0 Compact Flash card. These Supervisor Engines also provide an Ethernet           Management port (10/100 Base T), which is available only from ROMmon mode and           can be configured to download a new valid image through TFTP from a TFTP           process. There is no option for Xmodem or Ymodem which allows you to copy an           image through the console port.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Follow the instruction in this link to recover the IOS.  It seems that there in no Xmodem and you have to follow this instructions to enable the mgmt port and do it that way.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_configuration_example09186a0080094ecf.shtml

HTH

Reza

Hi Reza!

Thank you the reply!

Earlier I have already realized the procedures, which are written down in this document, but I would like to send an IOS bin file to the switch via the console port. I know it is very slow, but I would like to try this procedure too.

When the Supervisor II-Plus, III, IV or V-equipped switch boots up or       resets, there are these two possibilities:

The switch starts up normally and displays the           Hostname> prompt or the default           Switch> prompt.

The switch cannot find the image, the image is corrupt, no image is           present in the bootflash device, or the boot variable is set incorrectly and           therefore winds up in ROM monitor (ROMmon) mode. It displays the           rommon> prompt. In ROMmon mode, the switch           must be able to locate a valid system image from either the bootflash device or           the slot0 Compact Flash card. These Supervisor Engines also provide an Ethernet           Management port (10/100 Base T), which is available only from ROMmon mode and           can be configured to download a new valid image through TFTP from a TFTP           process. There is no option for Xmodem or Ymodem which allows you to copy an           image through the console port.

OK

Thank you the help!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card