cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Choices

kellyrudnick
Level 1
Level 1

We have a network made up of primarily 3560 access switches. Our switches are on various versions, but all seem to run the SE release. Here is a list of some of what the versions are currently on the switches:

WS3560-48PS 12.2(25)SEE4-IP-Base

WS3560-48PS 12.2(25)SEE2-IP-Base

WS3560-48TS 12.2(25)SEB4-IP-Base

WS3560-48PS 12.2(35)SE5-IP-Base

WS3560-48PS 12.2(25)SEB1-IP-Base

The things in common appear to be: Release number (12.2), Family (SE), Feature Set (IP base).

My goal is to have them run on the latest and most stable IOS versions available, and preferably using the same version. In fact, I would like to have them boot using the IOS on a TFTP server, so I would like to limit the number of IOS to as little as possible.

When I went out to the Cisco Software Advisor, I think the latest most stable version for my switches was: 12.2(46)SE (c3560-ipbasek9-mz.12.2-46.SE).

Does this look correct?

What is the difference within the SE family (SE, SEE, SEB)?

Any tips or recommendations to make this process simpler in the future?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

archari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Here is a link that shows the evolution of the 12.2(25)SE train.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps8802/ps6969/ps5012/ps5984/prod_bulletin0900aecd801bfd43_ps5012_Products_Bulletin.html

SEA > SEB > SEC > SED > SEE

the numbers 1/2/3 after SEA (e.g. SEA1) denote rebuilds of releases (should have no new features)

12.2(46)SE might be the latest, but that does not mean its the best release given that it was only released recently.

12.2(44)SE2 has worked well for a lot of customers. Then again you should always test this out in your environment before upgrading all these switches in one go.

HTH

Thanks for the quick reply.

eduardoromero
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

I hope you are doing great, i see that you do know how to get the IOS so i wont be posting any links here (anyway you have it on the other reply).

To make it easier reagarding the difference between SE, SEE, SEB, just try to think about it as it were windows, you have different releases and for example comparing SEE with SEB because of the letters you can see that SEE is more recent, how ever there are different releases like SEE5 vs SEB, here you would need to check on the release notes to see when each one was released, but regarding bugs and know issues it is recommended for you to go to the latest train and personally what i recommend my customers is to get the previous version and not the latest one (like if you have SEE5 and SEE4, i would recommend to use SEE4), research about it, and see if the listed bugs will produce any damage, you dont want to find out or be part of the new clients experimenting some weird bug.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card