Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS DHCP and PXE boot - client fails to obtain DHCP on network boot

millenski
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,
I've read few discussions, but seems I cannot find the answer of my issue. Let's assume the following scenario. 
We have external SCCM server (10.103.156.21) used for PXE boot. Locally we have 4500X core switch which acts also as DHCP server. 

ip dhcp pool user-vlan347-01
network 10.3.139.192 255.255.255.192dhcp, pxe, boot
default-router 10.3.139.193

interface Vlan347
description User_data_10.3.139.192/26
ip address 10.3.139.193 255.255.255.192
ip helper-address 10.103.156.21
no ip redirects
ip pim dense-mode
end

User can get IP address without issue when Windows boots, but when I try network boot, computer fails to get IP address by DHCP, therefore unable to reach the SCCM server for PXE boot. 

I tried also teh following options, no luck. 
option 60 ip 10.103.156.21
option 66 ip 10.103.156.21

I currently sniffed the traffic on the access switch (where the user is connected), and I see the DHCPDIscover being sent from the laptop, but nothing in return.  According to Microsoft you shouldn't put any DHCP options from the threads I've read. However, on another location we have DHCP sever run on Windows, and there are no such problems with this setup  - there they only have two ip helpers - one for the SCCM server and one for the Windows DHCP. There are no options set in the Windows DHCP server. 

So no I am struggling to know if I should have on the Cisco device all options that are shown in the DHCPDISCOVER that the client looks for - see attached. 

Thanks anyone for any comment/idea. 

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Whilst not an immediate answer I am not in favor of DHCP services on switches, I would keep switching and dhcp services separated and look for other solution for central DHCP services  , using ip-helper (relay) commands for vlan's on core to reach the central dhcp server. This would probably make the pxe-boot problem go away.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thanks. This will be the plan in near future, but I will need to make it working today with the current design. 
So I will appreciate any other idea what to tweak on the DHCP settings of the Cisco 4500X switch.

Regards,
Milen

- Again , not pin-pointed but below are  a few resources you may want useful :

https://support.symantec.com/us/en/article.howto8974.html

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/uefi-pxe-boot-with-quot-cisco-switch-dhcp-quot-and-wds-server-on/td-p/3764149

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/configuration-manager-blog/you-want-to-pxe-boot-don-t-use-dhcp-options/ba-p/275562#

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card