cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS on Stacked switches

jhawk1465
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2-3750 switches, 1) 3750E & 1) 3750G.  The switches are stacked and I am attempting to update the IOS on both.

I have downloaded the appropriate IOS for each and have uploaded them into the appropriate flash: (flash1: for switch 1, and flash2: for switch 2).

After doing a reload the master switch will not update but the second (slave) switch will.

I get an error message that reads: Loading "flash1:c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin"....flash1:c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin: no such device

This is happening on 2 different stacks and it is happening on the master switch on both. The master switch is the 3750E on one and the 3750G on the other.

I need help.

5 Replies 5

I am quite not clear how you are upgrading these switches. Are you upgrading them individually?

When you say dowloaded the appropriate images for both, what does it mean ..are both switches not running same?

Each switch has it's own IOS.

Once I do my "boot system" commands, pointing each switch to the appropriate IOS location, I implement a "reload" command (both switches in the stack are rebooted).

When the switches come up, only one of the 2 has loaded the new IOS, the other switch shows the error message, in my original message, and reverts back to the old IOS.

And just to be clear I have not completely changed the IOS on each switch, I have just downloaded the updated versions of each IOS (i.e., I went from SE9 to SE10).

For the 3750E-24PD, I am using c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin

For the 3750G-48PS, I am using c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin

Hi,

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/64898-upgrade-3750-stack.html#find

1-Verify the integrity of the new image

switch#verify flash:/<new_image>

2- Change the boot variable for the entire stack

switch(config)#boot system switch all flash:<new_image>

Note: If the above is not supported we may need to do it manually for each member

switch(config)#boot system flash1:<new_image>

switch(config)#boot system flash2:<new_image>

3- For both cases we need to save the changes

switch#wr

4-Need to check that we have the correct boot statement on each switch

switch#show bootvar

In good theory we should see the new boot variable for each switch

5-We can reload the entire stack, after deleted old image, uploaded new one, verified the integrity of the IOS, corrected boot statement.

switch#wr

Switch#reboot/reload

Hth

Regards

Inayath

Appreciate all the suggestions.  We have solved the problem.

The thing to remember with "stacked switches" is... they are separate switches until they completely reload and complete the election. So when doing the boot statements, there is no flash1: or flash2, there is just flash:

I get an error message that reads: Loading "flash1:c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin"....flash1:c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE10.bin: no such device

Go back.  GO ALL THE WAY BACK.  

How did you upgrade the IOS?  Judging from the error message above the IOS was upgraded by doing the "dangerous" method of copying the BIN file to the switch.  Can you confirm this is correct?  What filename was used for the 3750G and what filename was used for the 3750E?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card