Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS-XE upgrade discussion - "install" mode vs. "request platform"

vv0bbLeS
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

In terms of doing IOS-XE software upgrades, there are 2 ways to do it - the install mode way, or the request platform way. @Leo Laohoo has written some great guides for upgrading ISR models with request platform and upgrading Cat 9k models with install mode (See attached file).

The bummer about install mode is that it's very difficult to schedule a reboot, it's kind of an all-or-nothing thing. With the request platform method however, you can unpack the files beforehand, and then run a simple reload command when you're ready to upgrade.

My question is, can you use the request platform method on any device running IOS-XE ? If so, wouldn't that be the preferred method since it's so easy to schedule your reboots? Why would anyone use the install mode?

0xD2A6762E
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@vv0bbLeS wrote:
The bummer about install mode is that it's very difficult to schedule a reboot, it's kind of an all-or-nothing thing. 

There is a "NSFW" (aka, not "recommended" by Cisco) method to do the Install Mode, using the "install add file", and schedule the reboot at a later date without using DNAC or PI.  

It is "NSFW" not because it is not documented officially by Cisco.  I call it "NSFW" because once the command is entered, no one should touch the keyboard after that.  I will explain this shortly.

IMPORTANT: 

• Read and understand the steps below first.  
  • I call the following method the "one-hit-wonder" because I am going to combine all three process (unpacking, commit and activate) in one "go". 

Install Mode (NSFW + One-Hit-Wonder) Steps:

1.  Copy the (firmware) file into the switch.  For VSS switch, just copy the file into the Active switch.

2.  Invoke the command:  

install add file bootflash:filename.bin activate commit 

WARNING:  DO NOT TOUCH THE KEYBOARD

3.  About three minutes into the process, the system will pause and ask a "y/n" question.  It is of the utmost importance the operator must press "N" or "n".   (Press any key other than the "n" or "N" and it can potentially cause the switch stack to continue the process and reboot.)

4.  About 2 minutes after pressing the "N" or "n", the process will come to an abrupt halt.  This is to be expected.  

5a.  Enter the command "dir flash:*.conf".

5b.  (VSS)  Enter the command "dir stby-bootflash:*.conf"

6.  In steps 5a &/or 5b, pay attention to two files in particular, they are:  packages.conf and the "destination".conf file.  The destination file is the firmware to upgrade to, example if I was upgrading to 17.9.2, the file would be called cat9k_iosxe.17.09.02.SPA.conf.

7a.  Rename the packages.conf file to be something else: 

rename flash:packages.conf flash:packages.conf.00-

7b.  (VSS) 

rename stby-bootflash:packages.conf stby-bootflash:packages.conf.00-

8a  Rename the destination file to be the new packages.conf file:  

rename flash:cat9k_iosxe.17.06.04.SPA.conf flash:packages.conf

8b (VSS)  

rename stby-bootflash:cat9k_iosxe.17.06.04.SPA.conf stby-bootflash:packages.conf

9.  Make sure the boot variable string points to "packages.conf" using the command "sh boot".  

10.  Save and reboot (at a later date). 

11.  Do not forget to clean up the flash.

I have been using the NSFW method since 16.12.3 came out and I have never lost a single switch, router or WLC.  It does not matter what time of the day (or night) I could reboot the switch, router or WLC.  And it does not stop me because, using the above process, I can reboot the appliances any time it suits me.  

Remember why I call this the "one-hit-wonder"?  Because after the appliance reboots, I do not need to do the TAC recommended steps of "activate" &/or "commit" because I've already done it in Step 2.  

I hope someone will find this helpful.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches have two modes of operation, Install and Bundle. Two or more switches must be in the same boot mode to form a switch stack.

The Install mode is the recommended mode for booting a switch.

https://content.cisco.com/chapter.sjs?uri=/searchable/chapter/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/Denali_16-1/ConfigExamples_Technotes/Config_Examples/Misc/qos/m_install_vs_bundle.html.xml

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@vv0bbLeS wrote:
The bummer about install mode is that it's very difficult to schedule a reboot, it's kind of an all-or-nothing thing. 

There is a "NSFW" (aka, not "recommended" by Cisco) method to do the Install Mode, using the "install add file", and schedule the reboot at a later date without using DNAC or PI.  

It is "NSFW" not because it is not documented officially by Cisco.  I call it "NSFW" because once the command is entered, no one should touch the keyboard after that.  I will explain this shortly.

IMPORTANT: 

• Read and understand the steps below first.  
  • I call the following method the "one-hit-wonder" because I am going to combine all three process (unpacking, commit and activate) in one "go". 

Install Mode (NSFW + One-Hit-Wonder) Steps:

1.  Copy the (firmware) file into the switch.  For VSS switch, just copy the file into the Active switch.

2.  Invoke the command:  

install add file bootflash:filename.bin activate commit 

WARNING:  DO NOT TOUCH THE KEYBOARD

3.  About three minutes into the process, the system will pause and ask a "y/n" question.  It is of the utmost importance the operator must press "N" or "n".   (Press any key other than the "n" or "N" and it can potentially cause the switch stack to continue the process and reboot.)

4.  About 2 minutes after pressing the "N" or "n", the process will come to an abrupt halt.  This is to be expected.  

5a.  Enter the command "dir flash:*.conf".

5b.  (VSS)  Enter the command "dir stby-bootflash:*.conf"

6.  In steps 5a &/or 5b, pay attention to two files in particular, they are:  packages.conf and the "destination".conf file.  The destination file is the firmware to upgrade to, example if I was upgrading to 17.9.2, the file would be called cat9k_iosxe.17.09.02.SPA.conf.

7a.  Rename the packages.conf file to be something else: 

rename flash:packages.conf flash:packages.conf.00-

7b.  (VSS) 

rename stby-bootflash:packages.conf stby-bootflash:packages.conf.00-

8a  Rename the destination file to be the new packages.conf file:  

rename flash:cat9k_iosxe.17.06.04.SPA.conf flash:packages.conf

8b (VSS)  

rename stby-bootflash:cat9k_iosxe.17.06.04.SPA.conf stby-bootflash:packages.conf

9.  Make sure the boot variable string points to "packages.conf" using the command "sh boot".  

10.  Save and reboot (at a later date). 

11.  Do not forget to clean up the flash.

I have been using the NSFW method since 16.12.3 came out and I have never lost a single switch, router or WLC.  It does not matter what time of the day (or night) I could reboot the switch, router or WLC.  And it does not stop me because, using the above process, I can reboot the appliances any time it suits me.  

Remember why I call this the "one-hit-wonder"?  Because after the appliance reboots, I do not need to do the TAC recommended steps of "activate" &/or "commit" because I've already done it in Step 2.  

I hope someone will find this helpful.

@Leo Laohoo that's perfect! I like the install mode because of how easy it is but I never liked how I couldn't schedule a reboot, but your workaround method there is great! I'm putting that in my notes and will start using that method of install mode from now on where applicable. Thanks again!

0xD2A6762E

@Leo Laohoo one quick clarification question in your method above - in Steps 7a and 7b, you have these lines: 

Step 7a: rename flash:packages.conf and flash:packages.conf.00-

Step 7b (VSS): rename stby-bootflash:packages.conf and stby-bootflash:packages.conf.00-

I just want to be clear so I do this correctly, and maybe I will find this out when I do it - are you saying there will be 2 packages.conf files that I need to rename, or will I only need to rename the 1 flash:packages.conf file, and rename it to be flash:packages.conf.00- ?

Also, what is the significance of adding the .00- in the rename?

Thanks!

0xD2A6762E

@vv0bbLeS wrote:
Also, what is the significance of adding the .00- in the rename?

Before I explain the intention, let me put it down that there are two files that have the file extension of "conf", the packages.conf (old version) and the other is the "destination" or "new version" packages.conf.  

The intention is to rename the old-version to something else so the new version can be renamed to packages.conf. 

In my process, renaming it to "packages.conf.00-" is just my choice.  Obviously, anyone can rename it any filename they want as long it does not maintain the name of "packages.conf".  

Hope that makes sense.

@Leo Laohoo ah ok excellent, I understand! And I did some looking of my own and I found this Cisco forum post that says the .00- extension was used in the 3850's to designate the previous version of the packages.conf file (I'm sure this is why you use that naming convention):

This excerpt is from the above link and is for the 3850 model switches:

Software Rollback:

The 'software rollback' exec command can be used to revert to a previous version of the installed software package set (i.e., an older packages.conf file)

This functionality relies on the existence of one or more 'rollback provisioning files’ in flash:, along with all of the .pkg files listed in the rollback provisioning file(s)

• The rollback provisioning files are visible in flash: as packages.conf.00-, packages.conf.01-, etc.
  • packages.conf.00- is a snapshot of the packages.conf file as it looked prior to the last installation operation
  • packages.conf.01- is a snapshot of the packages.conf file as it looked two installations ago
  • And so on

When the 'software rollback' command is used, packages.conf.00- becomes packages.conf.  packages.conf.01- becomes packages.conf.00-.  And so on

Thanks again!

0xD2A6762E

To be honest, I have never seen that thread before. 

I made it a habit to use "00-" while reading the Release Notes.  I have, previously, used to call it "bak" and in the clean-up process was picked up by the script.

Ah ok, cool. Yeah I was honestly curious before my last reply so I renamed packages.conf to something crazy like funnystuff.txt and it was still picked up by install remove inactive for deletion, so I'm guessing that command actually looks inside the files before it marks them for deletion, which of course would make sense.

Anyway, I tried your above upgrade procecss on a Catalyst 9400 and it worked like charm! Thanks again!

0xD2A6762E

I have started updating some of my switches, from 17.3.X & 17.6.X, to 17.9.3. 

I noticed that the response from the command "install remove inactive", with version 17.9.3, is very fast.

I also would like to let everyone know the "install add file" command will never (ever) going to have a "no-reboot" option.  

@vv0bbLeS wrote:

Step 7a: rename flash:packages.conf and flash:packages.conf.00-

Step 7b (VSS): rename stby-bootflash:packages.conf and stby-bootflash:packages.conf.00-

Me bad:  Copy-n-Paste fail!

I have corrected the thread.  

Hello, thank you for providing the upgrade plan. I also mentioned this plan in my communication with TAC, but we have no downtime for the upgrade. Is there any upgrade plan that does not require downtime for reference?

@Nexhip_MISInfra wrote:
Is there any upgrade plan that does not require downtime for reference?

ISSU/FSU/eFSU/xFSU is a solution but it is a hit-n-miss solution -- It works for some but it does not for others.  Use ISSU/FSU/eFSU/xFSU at your own risk and peril.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to bare in mind with below statement. always refer release notes :

The request platform software commands are deprecated starting from Cisco IOS XE Gibraltar 16.10.1. The commands are visible on the CLI in this release and you can configure them, but we recommend that you use the install commands to upgrade or downgrade.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card