Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Datagram question

cool.cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All CCIE'S and cisco champions...

It's a basic question about IP but i don't know it and i am eager to know it..........Please help me out.....

I have some data to share with you and then i have some confusions that i like to ask.

I captured the packets through ethreal...

Here is the output

Version : 4

Header : 20 Bytes

I was reading a document where it says.. Header length in 32 bit words, so if the number is 5 then 5*32/8=20 Bytes and the maximum size is 15*32 bit...

What is the bit words and how we wee these bit words and say whether its a t number or 10 or 15....

Type of service:

0*00: Default

ECN : 0*00

.... ..0. : ECN Capable Transport

.... ...0 : ECN-CE:0

As i understand 101 is critical, but all the packets were having the same output, whereas if its a normal packet the value should be something else.

Total Length : No of octets that the ip datagram takes up including the header. The max size that an ip datagram can be is 65,535...

on all the packets it shows 1300

Identification number:

I understand it that i gives a unique numer serially to each packet..e.g 0*5d9a (23962) and 0*5d9b (23963)

Flags:

0*4

.1.. : Dont Fragment-Set

..0.0 : MF:Not Set

???????????

Frag Offset : o in all the packets..

?????????

TTL : 128 in all the packets.

I understand that ttl is a value when we send a packet each router reduce the value to 1 and send the packet to next router, when the packet reaches to destination then this values goes to 0......M i right...

Now i have one cofusion..

I did the ping from my pc..

Latency 5 ms--ttl116

Latency 5 ms--ttl53

Latency 289ms--ttk237

why there is a difference of ttl when both latencies are same.......

and how it decides then which ttl it should take..

Protocol: TCP then it shows 6, icmp it shows 1.

I understand it..

And then source address and destination address..

I understand it.

Now would someone please help me out the clear my doubts.....

Thanks a Ton for all your replies..

1 Reply 1

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

It would probably take than the allowed 4k to answer your questions in detail and for you this would still not be satisfying. You need to dive into the theory behind IP. The best site to start is:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Then begin reading rfc791 and whatever else you find interesting, there's a lot!

Regards,

Leo

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card