Views
Helpful
Replies

IP default Gateway with C9400 (IOS-XE)

Anouar ABDALLAH
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

We are configuring a Cisco Catalyst 9407 switch as a layer 2 switch so we have kept « ip routing » disabled and used « ip default-gateway » command for management traffic.

When we check routes with « show ip route » command, in output we see a default route pointing to the gateway used with « ip default-gateway ». Is it a normal behavior or we should see default gateway only in « show ip redirect » ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

That is the correct behavior for all IOS versions and IOS XE. Now, if you want to use the out-of-band management port on the sup, you would need to put a default route inside the management vrf that points to the next hop. Example:

ip route vrf Mgmt-vrf 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <next hop>

If your management is in-band, then what you see is correct. 

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Yes, It is normal behavior.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Thank you Deepak for your response. Is is related to IOS-XE or to particular versions?

Hi,

That is the correct behavior for all IOS versions and IOS XE. Now, if you want to use the out-of-band management port on the sup, you would need to put a default route inside the management vrf that points to the next hop. Example:

ip route vrf Mgmt-vrf 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <next hop>

If your management is in-band, then what you see is correct. 

HTH

Thank you for explanation. I have just tested with 3650 and 3560. 3650 has a management VRF which can be used for OOB traffic (the management interface is configured with) and 3560 does not have. So for the first I found the default route in table and in the second I did not.

The 3560 is an older model and did not come with an out-of-band management interface.  So, you have to use a vlan which is in-band. For 3560, you can use a default route or default gateway. If the switch is purely layer-2, all you need is a default gateway but if the switch is doing routing you would need a default route. On the 3650 (newer) there is an out-of-band management port that can be used. If you use that, you would need a default route in a vrf as I explained in the first post. If you don't add the default route, the management subnet will not be reachable from any other subnet.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card