Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Multicasting Anycast RP - MSDP

DevNet Engineer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everone,

what is the difference between Anycast RP and MSDP? Does MSDP requires point-to-point connection to the peer? and Anycast RP does not require?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Anycast RP solution uses MSDP to exchange source active (SA) messages between the two RPs. Please refer to the following document for more information about Anycast RP.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/solutions_docs/ip_multicast/White_papers/anycast.html

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi Harold,
Thanks for the document. Now, it is a little bit more clearer. But, I still have some questions:

1) do I still need point-to-point connection between the peers?
2) what is the difference between ip pim rp-candidate x.x.x.x and ip msdp originator-id x.x.x.x in msdp configuration?

Thanks

Good morning,

> 1) do I still need point-to-point connection between the peers?

You do not need a point to point between the two RPs. Normaly the connection is between the loopback address of the two RP.

> 2) what is the difference between ip pim rp-candidate x.x.x.x and ip msdp

> originator-id x.x.x.x in msdp configuration? 

The first command is to define the router as an BSR RP candidate and the second one is used to set the source address for the messages flowing between the two MSDP peers. Note that BSR or auto RP is generally not needed when deploying Anycast RP. Static RP is normally sufficient.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi Harold,

Thanks a lot for the Information.

As I understand, Anycast RP- MSDP is load sharing and RP hot backup, my Question is how can I make the RP redunancy determnistic, that means let's say I have two L3 switches ( core switches/Spine) as in the attached diagram and I want the only working RP is in Core/Spine L3 switch 1(CSW1), and in case a failure of CSW1, then then automatically switchover to RP-CSW2.

how it would be the configuration in this case

Best Regards,

Hi,

The whole idea behind Anycast RP is to have the two RPs active simultanously and to use MSDP to synchronize the active sources between them. If having an active/standby is important in your scenario, you will need to use other tecniques, such as auto-rp or BSR.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México