cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA with Tracking for Default Route

patwill66_2
Level 1
Level 1

I am having issues with IP SLA and tracking to inject a different default route.  I am running 15.0(1)M4 so the commands are a little different than what I have used on 12.4 but I followed the 15.0 guide with no luck.

Here is what I have.

track 123 ip sla 456 reachability

delay down 10 up 10

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

duplex auto

speed auto

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

ip address dhcp

duplex auto

speed auto

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x track 123

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dhcp 254

ip sla 456

icmp-echo x.x.x.x source-ip x.x.x.x

timeout 1000

threshold 2

frequency 5

ip sla schedule 456 life forever start-time now

If I put in this config just as it, everything starts working.  The track goes up, the ip sla is running, my default route is the route that is bring tracked.  However, if i unplug my cable from Gi 0/0 and take down what the ip sla is monitoring, my default route goes away, the track goes down and the ip sla is timing out.

When I plug my cable back in, the ip sla doesnt come back up, which doesnt bring the track back up, which doesnt insert my default route back in, which is not good.  For whatever reason I cannot get things to come back alive.  I have tried a lot of different metrics, I have tried all default settings, no luck at all.  What am I missing??

4 Replies 4

boss.silva
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I suspect that when you plug the cable back in, the route is still going through the Gig0/1, and that's why ip sla does not come back up, therefore not activating the default route expected.

Please do the test again, but this time, do the test manually - see if you can ping the device and see the default route installed.

Regards,

Bruno Silva.

you are right, that is the problem, but that is the issue.  when the primary interface is restored, the ip sla still fails its pings, therefor never restoring the tracking back to UP and reinserting the primary default route.  this worked fine on 12.4 but the 2911's dont have 12.4 code out there for download. 

You can use a static route to the destination that you are testing, this way you use the static route to this host, not the default.

Regards,

Bruno Silva.

Amit Aneja
Level 3
Level 3

Please share the o/p of "show ver" from the 2900?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card