cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ipv6 static ips on auto config subnets

paul amaral
Level 4
Level 4

Hi I was wondering what is the standard practice for assigning global static ipv6 ip addresses. For example i have a /64 doing stateless autoconf however within this subnet I have some servers and I'm wondering if I should use the unique auto generate eui ipv6 that it automatic gets assigned and use that as the static, used this in DNS for a www server, or if I should just create a static ipv6 on this /64 myself and use that as the static and put that ip into DNS.

Not really sure what is common practice.

TIA, Paul

6 Replies 6

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Paul,

I believe you should be able to do either/or. The EUI-64 will be unique and consistent on your device because it uses the mac address in its calculation of what address to assign it. You'll set up the prefix that the provider gave you, and you should be safe to put this address in your DNS server. Otherwise, you can also set the static manually on the interface if you want, but either way it should be consistent across reboots.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I know it will work but i guess im asking what is standard practice if i have a web server should it

1. be on the same stateless autoconf /64 subnets as other hosts

2. do more people manually assign an ip from the subnet or use the eui-64 ip for server like www/mail etc

thanks john for the reply.

paul

Hello,

There is no need for SLAC as long as you have plenty of IPv6 address Space , this is one reason.

The Second reason is that , you would normally need to assign your Web/Email Servers Static known IPv6 to you, not relying on the Mac address of the physical interface to assign an IPv6.

In either case, it would work, however, since you have plenty of IPv6 address, why you need Stateless Auto config address?

Organizations normally assign Static IPv6 addresses to hosts.

Regards,

Mohamed

SLAC is just easier to config, I guess there is not standard scheme for hosts that need static ips.

Thanks for the replies.

p

Paul,

One thought would be like Mohamed stated to statically assign your servers. I think the largest advantage to this is that if you had to replace a server due to hardware failure, the new server will have a different mac address and would calculate a different address if you used SLAC. If you statically assign it, then you would avoid having to modify DNS records, etc.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

that is a good point.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card