cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to demote a VTP primary server back to secondary (vtp v3)?

riedmueller
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I haven't found a command that will do the trick. I am working with VTP version 3. I would like to promote a switch to primary for vlans, make the configuration changes needed, and them demote that switch back to a secondary server.

I know that I can simply make another switch primary and it will take over, but that's not what I'm after-- the desired end-state (or in-between-configuration state) is to have all the switches in the secondary server role.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

briboyd
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

From the documentation:

VTP primary server and VTP secondary servers. A VTP primary server updates the database information and sends updates that are honored by all devices in the system. A VTP secondary server can only back up the updated VTP configurations received from the primary server to its NVRAM.

By default, all devices come up as secondary servers. You can enter the vtp primary privileged EXEC command to specify a primary server. Primary server status is only needed for database updates when the administrator issues a takeover message in the domain. You can have a working VTP domain without any primary servers. Primary server status is lost if the device reloads or domain parameters change, even when a password is configured on the switch.

It sounds like you desire your network to only have secondary switches - a switch will lose its primary status when it is reloaded and has to rejoin the vtp domain.

Here is example code:

SW1(config)#vtp mode client
- Setting device to VTP Client mode for VLANS.
SW1(config)#vtp mode server
- Setting device to VTP Server mode for VLANS.

This will reset vtp status and come up as a secondary server.

- Brian

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

briboyd
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

From the documentation:

VTP primary server and VTP secondary servers. A VTP primary server updates the database information and sends updates that are honored by all devices in the system. A VTP secondary server can only back up the updated VTP configurations received from the primary server to its NVRAM.

By default, all devices come up as secondary servers. You can enter the vtp primary privileged EXEC command to specify a primary server. Primary server status is only needed for database updates when the administrator issues a takeover message in the domain. You can have a working VTP domain without any primary servers. Primary server status is lost if the device reloads or domain parameters change, even when a password is configured on the switch.

It sounds like you desire your network to only have secondary switches - a switch will lose its primary status when it is reloaded and has to rejoin the vtp domain.

Here is example code:

SW1(config)#vtp mode client
- Setting device to VTP Client mode for VLANS.
SW1(config)#vtp mode server
- Setting device to VTP Server mode for VLANS.

This will reset vtp status and come up as a secondary server.

- Brian

Brian,

This solution works, but it's not a very clean cut.

It definitely takes the switch's ability to a/c/d VLANs away, but it doesn't update the VTP configuration. In otherwords, all the switches still show that there is a Primary server (by hostname and MAC). Odd that it wouldn't change those values. The only way I've found to change the Primary Server information in the VTP status is to have another switch claim primary status.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card