cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is Reboot Required When Upgrading ASR 1001-X to use 10G Interfaces

David Dobbs
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASR 1001-X and have purchased two FLSA1-BIN-1X10GE licenses to enable the two 10G ports on the router.  The ios version running is:

Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 03.13.02.S - Extended Support Release

Cisco IOS Software, ASR1000 Software (X86_64_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.4(3)S2

--Do I need to do anything after loading the license on the ASR to enable the 10G ports for use, like reboot the router?

--Can I enable two of these licenses on the same ASR--haven't tried yet?

Thanks,

David

3 Replies 3

David Dobbs
Level 1
Level 1

Looks like I found the answer on page 2 of the following link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/install/guide/1001-x/asr1hig-book/router_license_verify.pdf

It DOES require a reboot to activate the new 10G throughput level.

Still doesn't answer my 2nd question.  Wonder if by loading two 10G license it will display throughput of 20G with the "show platform hardware throughput level" command.

So is it not a matter of actually turning on the 10G ports as much as a throughput (software) constraint?

Have a look at this post:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/other-service-provider-subjects/cisco-asr1001-x-licence-question-flsa1-1x-2-5-20g-and-cgn/td-p/2583346

No, only with the 20G licence you will get the 10G port licences.

I checked this a minute ago.

HTH

Thank you for your reply!

I looked at the link and it has added to my confusion to the licenses.  Here's another way of putting my question which I saw on another unanswered post:

If we buy 2 * FLSA1-BIN-1X10GE licenses for the Cisco ASR 1001-X , the 2 * 10G interfaces will be activated right? Do we still need to buy the FLSA1-1X-2.5-20G license or will the 2 * FLSA1-BIN-1X10GE licenses give us 20G throughput?

The end game is we want to enable the 2 built-in 10G ports on the ASR so we can connect a 10G circuit to one port (outside 10G interface) and our external switch infrastructure to the other port (inside 10G interface).  Assuming worst case 10G at full duplex, we need 20G throughput capacity.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card