cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a 10GBaseT SFP+ module?

keithsauer507
Level 5
Level 5

I've been looking for a 10GBaseT SFP+ module and I found forum posts that are a few years old, like 2011-2013 era.  Now that it's 2015, are there any 10GBaseT SFP+ modules that could be put in one of two 10G expansions sleds for 3750x or 3560x, or any other SFP+ capable Cisco switch yet?

Reason I ask is because I am looking at a Dell FX2 chassis server which can hold 8 'blade' servers in 2U of rack space.  In the back there are two different I/O agrigators for networking, one is 4 10gbe SFP+ ports (FN410S), and another is 4 100/1000/10000 auto sensing Cat5e/6a RJ-45 interfaces (FN410T).

If I get the RJ-45 interface I/O module the benefit is auto-sensing so I could still link up to a standard 1gbps switch port, and grow into 10gbe-t.

If I get the SFP+ I/O module for this server, well then I am limited to 10gig twinax or fiber SFP+ modules.

7 Replies 7

mpathira
Level 1
Level 1

C3KX-NM-10G module will compatible with both switches, and you will have two 10G ports. But, if you are looking for four 10G ports, you can upgrade to a 3850 switch, and install a C3850-NM-4-10G module. Hope this information will help.

Thanks, for the C3KX-NM-10G or the C3850-NM-4-10G, is just fiber or twinax cable the only connectivity options?  Does cisco offer 10gig over Cat6a RJ45 terminated cable yet?

janf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Keith, did you ever find out if there will be any 10GBaseT SFP+ modules from Cisco?

Thanks, J

No I never found one with a RJ-45 connector.  We ended up just getting Fiber SFP's and for the blade servers we got the networking option with 10GBps SFP+ ports that we populated with fiber SFP+, then used fiber optic jumpers between the blade server and the switches.

I don't think Cisco has the technology to make 10gbps in an RJ45 style SFP+ module.  Something about power requirements.  Makes me wonder about nBaseT (2.5 Gbps, 5 Gbps, etc..) or about upcoming DOCSIS 3.1 modems that can support 5gbps down.

interesting thread that seems to continue on into 2018. Searching the web, I was able to find vendors that make cisco compatible 10G-BaseT SFP+. search for this: "cisco SFP-10G-T. there are a few on amazon. It even looks like HP sells their own such product!

I would like to hear a cisco-certified answer, why lack of 10Gbase-T SFP+ continues into 2018. curious minds want to know. :)

As a side note, I was reviewing the Cisco 4900M switch which is EOS soon. the recommended upgrade path is the 4500-X switch, which doesn't have any 10 Gbase-T option - to the best of my knowledge.

So it seems like they are going backwards, taking 10 Gbase-T out of the 4900M and suggesting customers go to a fiber/twinax-only solution.

Any insiders have enlightening answers?

Hey Will,

To get this out of the way, my name is Kevin and I have been selling Cisco for almost 15yr, but this is not a sales post, just something I ran across because I am in a similar situation.  I have experience with the 10GB 3rd party compatible SFP-10G-T optics.  They work just fine, but you are right about the optics pulling power from the switch so I never recommend using more than a few in a switch.  Plus, they are quite a bit more ($250ish each) than compatible fiber SFPs or Twinax cables.  If you tried to put say 16-ports of 10GB copper in here you would be looking at 4K in just optics plus the cost of the switch which is just cost prohibitive versus going with a Copper 10GB switch.  The Copper 10GB SFP+ are not approved and likely never will be by any major manufacturer like Cisco/Juniper/Extreme/ETC (but they are made by the major manufactures that Cisco outsources optic manufacturing to).  I'm always confused why so many storage/server units come with 10GB-T.  If you need more than a few 10GB Copper ports, then if you have a Nexus in your core maybe you can go with a N2K unit that has 32/48 ports of 1/10GB with 10/40GB uplinks back to your Nexus unit (compatibility does vary).  I am working with a situation right now replacing a 4900M with 2x 8-port 10GB Copper modules (16-ports total).  I can't recommend a 4500X (or C9500 which is the groomed replacement to 4500X's) because it would use too many copper SFP+'s for my comfort.  The Cisco 3850/9300's that are multigig are nbase-T versus just 10Gbase-T which means you want to check the compatibility of the NICs in your server/storage unit(s).  In my experience, the majority of the NIC cards will not be compatible with the new nbase-T, so if you end up having to replace those I would just go with Fiber rather than trying to find a compatible 10GB Copper.  My clients NICs are not compatible with nbase-T, thus I'm left with pretty much only a N3K/N9K options.  This is way overkill for what they need (48-ports 1/10GB T + 6 QSFP+ 40GB ports).  I know H P makes smaller 10GB Copper switches along with a few other manufacturers (especially SMB like Netgear), but Cisco has just stayed away for the most part.  Anyway, I'm completely open to any recommendations or additional information other people have because either there is a better way I/we are missing, or seems like a missed opportunity for Cisco.  

Kevin Kuemmel

kevin . kuemmel @ wdpi . com

Calvyn Lee
Level 1
Level 1

catalyst don't have 10G BaseT SFP+, unlike 1G it had GLC-T or GLC-TE

the alternative solution, you might need to consider SMB switch

SG550XG-8F8T-K9, no SFP require, the RJ45 port directly support 10G using RJ45 copper able.

Calvyn Lee
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card