cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a convention for modifying Mac-Address ?

Gizmo37QC
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there, i had to modify MAC Adress on a VRF SVI in order to bridge my vlan to another one in the global router (bridge with FWSM). It resolved the issue i had (thanks to people here).    On another setup, i also had to modify mac adress in two pair of Cisco ASA 5550 running each multiple context in failover.

On th VRF mapped svi, i only modify a digit of the mac adress (replacing the first 0 with a 1....)  In the ASA, we made an internal definition mac Structure (relative to context id, context vlan etc etc).

My question is : Is there a range of usable MAC adress we can use for this kind of purpose ? Or a convention for modifying it relative to the kind of equipment ?

Thanks !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Have a look at :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Be careful about the least significant bit of the most significant byte though. If it is set to 1 the MAC address will be treated as a Multicast. Make sure it is zero so that the MAC address will be treated as a Unicast.

The link suggests that the second least significant bit should be set to 1 for a Locally Administered Address as it is always zero for a Universally Administered Address.

The link explains it all.

Pete

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Have a look at :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Be careful about the least significant bit of the most significant byte though. If it is set to 1 the MAC address will be treated as a Multicast. Make sure it is zero so that the MAC address will be treated as a Unicast.

The link suggests that the second least significant bit should be set to 1 for a Locally Administered Address as it is always zero for a Universally Administered Address.

The link explains it all.

Pete

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Gizmo,

in the output of sh module in a multilayer switch you can find a block of contiguous MAC addresses that are associated to the system.

Picking up from this block may be a possible choice.

They should be 1024.

(note: they are probably used by CDP, STP and other L2 protocols to differentiate source ports on same device)

Changing less significant two octets (rightmost) to code the vlan number is a possible choice too.

What counts is to avoid to have in the same subnet the same MAC address used twice as you have found in your tests.

In theory a single alternate MAC address value could be used in all VRFs mapped SVIs

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card