cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a need for QoS/CoS if we are under-utilizing bandwidth?

J Sullivan
Level 1
Level 1

We have a gig fiber up-link and only use about 200Mbps at any given time.  Is there a reason we would want to use QoS/CoS on our switches/routers?  Should mention that almost everything we do is cloud based, so internal host to host traffic is minimal.

7 Replies 7

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Taking as a example Gig links then you have around 1024 Mbps then having 200 mbps should not be a issue.

Regards

Inayath

What if we want to prioritize some traffic out of that 200Mbps?

CF

That's kind of where I was going.  We have VoiP and Video that we'd like to take priority, but I'm not sure if it would matter given the excess bandwidth we have.  

Would the switch or router buffers add to the latency at this point?  We have 3750 switches.

J

Voice / Video coming into picture then I would say that you use the QOS to avoid any impact to that traffic.

Regards

inayath

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you have congestion, sustained or transient, that's adverse to your traffic's service needs, and which can be mitigated by QoS, then you probably have a "reason" to use QoS.

Using about 200 Mbps, at any given time, on a single gig up-link, tells us very little about your network's end-to-end traffic handling, or your traffic's service needs.

And what would be the best way to measure what those needs are?

Depends on what you want to measure.

I know that seems a bit of a circleous answer but, again, it depends on the service needs of your traffic.

For example, consider we need to move a gig file across a 1 Mbps, but we also need to do so in a certain amount of time. If we need half a Mbps transfer rate, we might measure our transfer rate, to see if we're meeting our service need. Yet, are we measuring actual data transfer rate or wire bit rate?  With L2 and L3 overhead, and re-transmissions of data, a measured wire bit rate of half a Mbps might not meet our need to measure the effective data transfer rate.

For a different example, VoIP has a several needs that need to be met, and measured to insure they are.  There's end-to-end latency, jitter and lost data rates.  If you don't meet certain rates, your VoIP MoS tends to decay.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card