cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a non interruptive procedure to upgrade IOS-XE on redundant SUP engine Catalyst 9400

aoster
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

a supervisor engine in one of our Catalyst 9410R chassis has failed and needs to be replaced. We have a dual SUP setup so there is still one functioning active sup engine in the chassis. Cisco has sent a replacement part but the new one has a different IOS-XE version than the current active one. As this switch is acting as our central core/ditribution switch we would like/need  to avoid a chassis reload.

Does someone know of any possible way to upgrade the new sup engine from ROMMON to the same IOS-XE release which is currently active ?  We are using IOS-XE 16.11.1 in install mode, the new sup came with IOS-XE version 16.09.4

Thank you for your kind help.

Best regards

Andreas

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- If this is not possible you could ask Cisco to deliver the spare part with the needed version.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. Plug the replacement supervisor into the chassis (it will boot into ROMMON).
2. Get a USB stick and load the firmware you want into it.
3. Tell the replacement supervisor to boot the IOS in the USB stick using the command "emergency-install usbflash0:filename.bin".

Hi Leo,

thank you very much for your reply.

When booting the new sup engine with this command does it only boot the new
image or will it also be installed ?

Best regards
Andreas

Installed but check after boot to ensure the image is installed correctly or not.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card