Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a place to discuss cisco packet tracer problem/question

alexlutls
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I start to use cisco packet tracer to learn the network protocol, I found some unclear thing within Packet Tracer.

e.g. I learn the process of DHCP protocol in simulation mode, I check the PDU detail by click on each package, it has a lot of information for each layer of OSI module. But I find some un-clear info for me, I want to ask the question in somewhere, but I don't know where to ask, is there a dedicated community/place to let me post question?

detailed e.g.

In the first dhcp package sent the by dhcp client, in layer 3, it gives me below info:

1. The port does not have an IP address.  -- the port or the package?

2. The packet payload is a DHCP UDP segment. The device sets the source address to the zero IP address.

3. The destination IP address is in the same subnet. The device sets the next-hop to destination. -- why still need to set next-hop as in the same subnet ?

BR

5 Replies 5

Hello,

can you post a screenshot of what you are looking at ? I posted an image of the first packet sent from the PC, source is all zeros, destination is broadcast 255.255.255.255. Where do you see the destination being an IP address in the same subnet ?

alexlutls
Level 1
Level 1

Here you are!dhcp-pdu.png

Some of those OSI explanations are standard "filler" by PT people; they follow a form or structure as specified by layer level and may not always be intuitive.   in your case, "device sets the next-hop to destination" does not make sense here with DORA process at PC level. Once you get IP and start pinging , open that ICMP packet and check layer 3 info.

in case of "port does not have an IP address.", it is for the port; not package.

Note that there are some mistakes or issues in PT

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

alexlutls
Level 1
Level 1

This is the right place for Cisco Package Tracer questions? then I can post the full example here.

no, I don't think there is a forum designed for PT issues or questions only.  PT developed for Net Academy courses/students and it is not Cisco per se. If there is a board for PT issues, it would be on Net-academy site. Check over there. 

You can use "Report an issue /problem" from PT Help Menu to fill out software- running issues, and to report any bugs.  

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses ** 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card