cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a reserved range for VXLAN VNI?

jpl861
Level 4
Level 4

Is there a reserved range for VXLAN VNI that I am not supposed to use? I did a very simple spine and leaf topology,  initially I have two spines and two leaves but due to some issues, I turned off the second spine.

I tried to map the following

Vlan 100 to VNI 1100

Vlan 101 to VNI 1101

I really couldn't make it work regardless if I do multicast or manual peering with ingress-replication.

And then I decided to do wireshark capture to see how the packets flow. From the source host, the encapsulation is correct,  it is using vlan 100 as the dot1q vlan. And then I saw it being transported across the network down to the destination. However, I saw that vlan ID changed when the second leaf sends the frame to the destination. It is tagging the frame with VLAN 1100 instead of VLAN 100. I really couldn't see any faults with the configuration as I only copied the vlan and nv overlay configurations to both leaves.

And then I tried to change the mapping.

Vlan 100 to VNI 100100

Vlan 101 to VNI 100101

Then it worked like magic.

3 Replies 3

Hello

I have not implemented vxlan on cisco but in aruba for evpn vlxan the VNI range is not restricted to but is recommended  to use 10000 + vlan x

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi

VNI values are from 4096 to 16,777,215

So, this would be out of the range

Vlan 100 to VNI 1100

Vlan 101 to VNI 1101

https://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=2999385&seqNum=3 

Got it! It's just weird because the CLI says I can start with 1.

nx9kv3(config-vlan)# vn-segment ?
<0-0> Segment-id
<1-16777214> Segment-id

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card